Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
June 15th, 2015, 8:54 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello Yoder Family! I took delivery of a YS640 this past weekend and am pretty excited to get it smoking. I am not only a newbie to Yoder Smokers, but am a newbie to the world of smokers. I did plenty of research before purchasing the Yoder and from what I can see, the quality is definitely top notch.

I have one quick question about powering the unit. Did anyone have issues plugging the Yoder into a GFI outlet? Every time I plugged in the unit to my outdoor GFI outlets, the GFI would "pop". It worked fine when I plugged the Yoder into a non-GFI outlet. The GFI outlets are new and work fine with other items. Thoughts?

- Mt Man

June 15th, 2015, 9:25 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Welcome aboard!

What is the timeframe that the GFCI outlet "pops"? Does it "pop" right away when plugging the cooker in, when you flip the power switch on, or after you push the START button?

If the cooker works correctly in a normal outlet, but "pops" a GFCI outlet, and the GFCI outlets are new, I would verify that the GFCI outlets are wired and grounded correctly. The cooker will draw approximately 200 watts for the first 5 minutes after pushing the START button, and then 50 watts for the duration of the cooking session.

Yoder_Herb
June 15th, 2015, 9:48 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

The GFI "pops" as soon as I plug in the smoker. I have verified that the YS640 is in the off position when plugging in the cable and I tested the cable. I did verify that the installed GFI are grounded and wired correctly. I have also checked the ratings on the GFI and they are 20 Amps @ 125v so that should be fine. The GFI actually "pops" before there should be any type of current draw as the power switch on the YS640 is off. There must be some circuitry in the YS640 that is causing an immediate draw and therefore the GFI to fail...

June 15th, 2015, 10:19 am
* Durnago ** Durnago *

Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining the group!

June 15th, 2015, 10:23 am
Site AdminSite Admin

The power switch on the cooker is not a power cutoff, but rather a trigger switch, so when you plug power into the cooker, it powers the controller, like a computer in hibernation. But, the current draw is negligible, so it should not "pop" the GFCI. If it works in a normal outlet, it should work in a GFCI.

Do you have a comp cart or backyard cart?

Yoder_Herb
June 15th, 2015, 12:22 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb,

Thanks for the quick response and information. I just tested the two GFCI outlets that I tried to use with the Yoder and they both test normal for load rating and for grounding. I also tested a third GFCI that is connected to a different circuit and it also causes the GFCI to fail. It is an interesting issue because the YS640 appears to run just fine from a non-GFCI outlet on a 20 Amp breaker. Is there any chance the the Yoder wasn't properly internally grounded?

I have a backyard cart but was considering ordering the comp cart so that I could more easily move the smoker around the backyard and potentially travel with it...

- Mt Man

June 15th, 2015, 1:16 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Take a look at this document: download/Install%20and%20Repair/PELLET%20SMOKER_PROCEDURE_REPLACE%20CONTROL%20BOARD_Version3.pdf

Follow steps 1 and 2 to remove the cookers end panel.

Follow step 12 to verify the correct wiring to the power plug.

Reverse steps 1 and 2 to reassemble the end panel.

Yoder_Herb
June 15th, 2015, 10:28 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

I believe that you have called the support line, and have been asked to provide pictures via email following the process I have outlined above. I will wait for your email and work through this issue with you via email.

Yoder_Herb
June 17th, 2015, 8:18 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Hello and welcome!!

Return to Introduce Yourself