Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
April 3rd, 2015, 11:33 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I am a first time owner of a YS640. I have smoked ribs and brisket on a Holland grill in the past. I would love a list of approximate cooking times, temps, and recipes for different types of meat and sides. Is there a link anywhere with a collection of recipes? I have smoked ribs for 4 hours @ 275 and they turned out great. I made burgers, baked beans, biscuits, bacon and mac and cheese with success. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Sensenig5

April 3rd, 2015, 4:55 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Hi sensenig5,
first welcome to the board. I am going to give you one of those answers that most of us hate. The great thing about smokers is you can cook low and slow, or even lower and slower. Either way things turn out great. Personal preference runs the gamut. Of course the lower the temp and the heartier the product will dictate how soon you get to the finish line. For me I cook my ribs @225 for the bulk of the time. Others do like you and cook a little higher. There is no right or wrong, just how you like the end product. Trial and error will get you there!

I know you asked for more than just ribs and more than just temps. For me when I am trying something new I just punch in YODER ____- fill in the blank (on the computer). This way I can see what many other yoder enthusiasts are doing. I then adjust accordingly. I have found a couple that I will never do again but otherwise get a good feel. I let my thermapen help make my decision for me and after once or twice usually do not have to open the lid too many times just to get a temp check for doneness. Also, I do keep a little book on my cooks for reference but in the end it seems like never are things exactly the same even when following my own recipe's.

Good luck and Happy Smokin'
westhemess

April 3rd, 2015, 5:52 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for joining the group!

April 3rd, 2015, 10:15 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

welcome...
check your messages...

~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~
April 4th, 2015, 10:41 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Welcome to the group!

Mike
2 - YS640 Silver Competition Carts
April 6th, 2015, 9:28 am