Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
March 17th, 2015, 8:52 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

On the way home to Salina Kansas after a long weekend with in-laws in Tulsa, I stopped by All Things BBQ in Wichita Kansas today. It's bbq nirvana with some pretty awesome, helpful, friendly people and there was a really nice dog hanging out in the store that kept my almost two year old happy as could be. I didn't link to them so hopefully that doesn't break the rules. Came home with the following.

YS640 with second shelf and probe port
Cover
20lbs Hickory
20lbs Cherry
3 grill grates with tool
18" A-MAZE-N TUBE
frog mats

I took some pictures that I'll have to figure out how to upload later. After extensive research I knew I had to have a YS640 and it was awesome watching it being lifted into the back of the truck with a fork lift. I might be dramatizing it a bit but when i got home i was hit with the realization that i had a smoker in the bed of a truck that i was no closer to using than months prior when I had my first AHA moment looking at it on a screen. I called a buddy. He was out of town. I called another buddy who had said if i bought one he'd be available to help for sure. Nope. I drank a beer and thought about it for awhile because you really can't grasp how heavy 300 plus pounds of steel really is until you have it impossibly close. One downside of the regular cart is some crappy wheels and the competition cart is drool worthy. I'm not going to move it once in place so i'm going to call it a theft deterrent. If it's impossible to move across the yard good luck trying to steal it. I'm still going to hook a lag bolt and chain between the smoker and my home's foundation tomorrow.

Long story not so short. I tried not to call my dad because he shouldn't be helping move something so heavy. He brought the ramps and we teetered it down them on the rubber wheels in a precarious, more or less by myself, chug a beer afterwards, and set it up before thinking about it sort of way. Burn in successful! I thought a head about food just not the unload because prior to leaving for Tulsa I took a turkey and a pork butt out of the freezer. I'll also be buying a couple of corned beef points to do this week since I couldn't crock pot them today. They're going on the smoker going forward with the crock pot being demoted to sides that don't fit only. Probably Papa Murphy's pizza and a fattie this week too. I need a vacuum sealer...

I look forward to reading and learning from all of your posts and sharing a few things too. All the posts on this forum helped solidify my decision to purchase a Yoder. Thanks Everyone!

March 17th, 2015, 10:36 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for joining the group! You made a great choice in a cooker and you will get many years of enjoyment with it.

March 18th, 2015, 1:40 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Welcome aboard, and congrats!

Yoder_Herb
March 18th, 2015, 1:59 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

welcome...

~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~
March 18th, 2015, 8:03 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Welcome to the group!
Congrats on a great cooker!

Mike
2 - YS640 Silver Competition Carts
March 18th, 2015, 9:23 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *
March 19th, 2015, 8:01 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Congrats! These things are a beast! I got to enjoy trying to pull it through 2 inches of frozen snow to the back patio. But it sure was worth it!!

March 19th, 2015, 10:41 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Hello and congrats!!

Return to Introduce Yourself