Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
November 27th, 2020, 9:25 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I just wanted to say hello and how much I appreciate the information I've been able to have access to on this forum. I've been grilling forever and smoking for about 13 years. First on a vertical water smoker (originally charcoal, but later converted to propane) and then to an old school 700 lb stick burner. I still have both. But I wanted to try something easier and different. You can't have too many smokers (or grills) can you?

So far my experience has been great. I've had my Yoder YS480s for one week and just successfully pulled off the Thanksgiving Turkey - thanks to some articles I read and some advice given. It seems like the 480's size is about perfect for us, and I plan on smoking a lot of other things in the future like duck and prime rib, etc. So far it's been mostly chicken, ribs, brisket and of course turkey.

I have a lot of questions still but will spend time searching first since I can assume a lot of other people have already come up with solutions. Basic stuff like how to deal with a bird (turkey for instance) that is cooking unevenly even when spatchcocked. I assume move it around, but it didn't seem to help. So ultimately I had to overcook some parts of it just so the others could reach my target temperature. If you have ideas I'd appreciate a response.

Have a good one - and happy cooking

Return to Introduce Yourself