Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
June 16th, 2020, 8:06 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi, John Williams from Houma, LA .... 50 miles southwest of New Orleans on Bayou Terrebonne. After burn in and seasoning, I've promised to cook for my wife pork belly the way I've cooked in our oven ... 500F for the first hour, 300 for the next 4 hours. My concern is the first hour at 500F. My 640s will be delivered in a couple of days along with the double diffuser. Should I cook the first hour at 500F with the plate removed from over the firebox, and then when I lower the temp, reinstall the cover plate for the final 4 hours at 300F? Thank you very much!

June 17th, 2020, 12:40 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

If you bought the optional grill grates and covered the trap door at least the blow back from ash would be somewhat diminished, but I would not leave any meat directly over an uncovered or even a covered(with grill grates) trap door unattended for any length of time. The direct flames are gunna be much hotter than the 500 set temp. Best example is a steak...3-5 minutes max over a direct flame (depends on the height and magnitude of the flame).

Sorry if I misunderstood your post...just thought you might want a little input!

June 17th, 2020, 9:59 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thank you westhemess1 . I should have explained myself better. I plan on cooking the pork belly on either the center rack or top rack like in an oven, not directly above the firebox as a sear. I guess I'm asking if it is okay to cook at an interior temp of 500F for an hour or so with the entire diffuser plate in place, to include the small square plate over the firebox? I hope that makes sense. I don't want to damage the diffuser cooking at 500F. Thank you for your response!

June 18th, 2020, 12:29 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb If you could clarify this for me, I would appreciate it. I plan on cooking a pork belly on either the center rack or top rack like in an oven, not directly above the firebox as a sear. I will not be searing over the firebox. I guess I'm asking is it okay to cook at a cooking temp of 500F for an hour or so with the entire diffuser plate in place, to include the small square plate over the firebox? I will lower the temp to 300F to continue cooking the pork belly for another 4 hour after completion of the first hour 500F cook. I hope that makes sense. I don't want to damage the diffuser cooking at 500F. Thank you for your response!

June 18th, 2020, 3:49 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I seen a post by yoder_herb that he used the 2 piece diffuser with the access door in, and the cast iron griddle, at temps of 500. I would say you are good to use it at any temp without any problems.

June 18th, 2020, 7:05 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks greasemonkey !!! Imma try it and let y'all know.

June 21st, 2020, 5:24 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

IMG_2040.jpeg
Pork Belly came out delicious. And the Yoder is still in one piece. Thanks for the advice!

Return to Introduce Yourself