Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
July 10th, 2019, 11:59 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I know this a ridiculously long post, but this is a ridiculously big investment.

Been cooking on a 22" Weber with a Slow N Sear, and a 20 year old Weber Genesis C that I rebuilt for many years now..

Decided I wanted a pellet grill and/or a Kamado to add to the arsenal. I've wanted a nice Kamado for years, but recently got bit by the pellet grill bug. I wanted a pellet grill for ease of use, and a Kamado because I love charcoal cooking. I'm finally at point where I can financially do it.

I think the pellet grill is great here in Arizona during the summer when it's 110º+ and you don't want to mess around with and babysit a charcoal grill (even thought I do it). Plus I love the ease of just set and it forget it when you don't have the time or desire to baby-sit a charcoal grill. I love the idea of putting a butt or brisket on the grill and going to bed. When I do low and slow on the Kettle I'm up at 4:30-5:00, and everyone is pissed when it's 19:00 and the food's still not done.

After a couple months of research I purchased a GMG Jim Bowie Prime last week. Big mistake. I was not happy with the quality. In fact it had major issues after just a couple cooks and I returned it.

I thought if I purchased a less expensive, but decent pellet grill, I could then get a nice Kamado this winter when it's cooler. Winter is amazing here and I'll have time to sit outside, play with it, and learn it.

After the fiasco with the GMG I though maybe I should just pass on the pellet grill altogether...but...the ribs that came off the GMG were amazing...and so easy. And after using my Weber Kettle all this week in 110º+ heat. I think I'm still sold on the pellet grill.

I originally wanted either a Rec Tec Bull, or Yoder YS640s, but after seeing the GMG here in a store locally decided it met my needs at a lower price point. It obviously did not. I wasn't expecting "Yoder" quality for $1000, but the level of quality for $1000 was no where near what it should be. It's not like $1000 is chump change. I had reservations about the GMG and I should have listened to my gut.

So back to either the Rec Tec or Yoder. In reality, it's down to the Yoder or probably nothing. I think the Rec Tec is nicer than the GMG, but still no where near the quality of the Yoder. If I went with the Rec Tec I think I'll be right back in the same boat I was with the GMG. I do want to give props to the GMG CS. They could not have been more Johnny on the Spot or nice about everything.

I've had a couple people locally here tell me that I'll have difficulty maintaining low and slow on the Yoder here in Phoenix in the summer due to the Yoder being "overbuilt". Thoughts on that? Seems counter intuitive. I figure if it's 110º, the Yoder would be super efficient on the pellet consumption assuming the controller can deal with the extreme heat outside.

I understand that this is a mechanical device, and will require upkeep and maintenance. Just a little concerned with the number of posts on here and other places regarding issues right of the box.

Can other owners who've had to deal with CS tell me how the experience has been?

Can owners of the new "s" model give me some feed back? Not much out there yet. Most everything I can find is on the previous model. Little bit from ATBBQ, but not much.

Seems like many of the issues from older YS640's have been addressed with the YS640s. Is that an accurate statement?

Thanks for your time. Just trying to gather all the info I can so I'm not disappointed again. If I do order the Yoder I have very high expectations for it. I want something that, with care and maintenance, will be sitting on my patio 20 years from now, Is the Yoder that grill?

July 11th, 2019, 7:37 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Welcome aboard!

Take a look at the ACS Pellet sub forum, as I have tested and posted many articles on the "s" model.

If you need customer support, call us at 877.409.6337, option 1, or email us at customerservice@yodersmokers.com

Yoder_Herb

Return to Introduce Yourself