Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
May 3rd, 2019, 11:45 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello from a newbie. Longtime Weber gas grill owner recently intrigued by pellet grills. Started looking locally at Traegers and Green Mountain Grills displayed at local stores. Almost purchased a new Green Mountain Prime as my first pellet grill. Started reading forums and discovered other brands. For a bit more money, maybe buy a rec tec? For a bit more yet, buy a yoder? Mak?

In two weeks I've gone from almost bringing home an $800 Green Mountain to play around with to trying to convince my wife we need to spend $3,000 on a comp cart 640 with two piece diffuser and grill grates. I found a small yoder dealer 45 miles away and went to see a 640 on a comp cart. After viewing, how could I ever be happy buying a lesser GMG? I wanted to buy the 640 on the spot but it wouldn't fit in my Suburban.

Came home and started reading up on Yoder. Now of course they just announced the "s" version with wi fi and built in probes. Might I regret buying a 640 today vs ordering an "s"? Reading reviews on options and paint issues, my head is spinning..........

So might someone provide their opinion:

-If you were considering your first Yoder, would you order the "s" or buy a stock 640?
-While the comp cart is "cool", if the unit is going to spend most of its life sitting on my deck and only being moved off the deck once or twice a year to clean the deck, is the comp cart cost worth it or necessary?
-Stainless shelves worth the upgrade for a first timer?
-I'm concerned about grilling as I use my Weber 3-4 times a week to cook chicken, burgers, steak, pork chops for the family of four. These are quick dinner sessions, not all day events. Am I setting myself up for frustration if I intend to use this as a grill more often than a smoker? I picture myself coming home from work and needing to change clothes and put on gloves before starting the grill for dinner as I have to take the grates/shelves out and remove the diffuser before grilling a hamburger. Can I leave the diffuser out all the time and just put it back in when I want to smoke? I know the answer is buy the two piece but stubbornly don't wish to spend $3,,000 on a grill and have to spend another $180 to more easily grill a brat dog.
-Is the paint issue that big of deal?
-If I'm jumping in for the first time, is it easier to start with a lower end "beginner" brand ? Is it more difficult to operate, maintain, clean the yoder each time than a lower end GMG or Traeger?

Just trying to convince myself the right move is to order a new 640s and be happy 5-6 weeks from now.

Thanks all.

May 3rd, 2019, 1:18 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Long owned a weber gas grill and, frankly just upgraded to a new Genesis Stainless 18 months ago. However, I have had my YS640 with comp cart for going on 3 years now. Love my Yoder and, when I have time, definitely use it for a grill as well. Honestly it depends on what I'm cooking and when the family needs to eat. My preference is to use the Yoder but due to quick eats before some practice that I have to haul the kids to, I haven't been able to make the total switch and abandon the Weber.

I do however, by preference only, baby my Yoder. She's always covered and in my garage. The Weber, not so much. It stays on the patio. That definitely leads my my inability to fully commit.

My first venture into smoking was a Masterbuilt electric. Had decent enough results, that my eyes started to wander for an upgrade. A friend of mine had a Traeger and I got comfortable with what a pellet smoker could produce. Saw a YS640 and fell for it. Haven't regretted one minute. Great customer service (had a fan go bad) and family/friends enjoy the produced food.

To try and answer some of your questions;
1. I will be upgrading to the S control board. I like the ability to control temps from my phone (and start the grill on my way home)
2. Love my comp cart- Just feel like it is more sturdy and I've trailered to competitions.
3. Yes on the stainless shelves. Clean up is breeze.
4. Answered above
5. I have a can of paint and could probably touch up a couple of spots but so far, it is purely cosmetic
6. My Masterbuilt was a beginner brand. Was it easier to clean? Sort of. Was it "set it and let it do its magic"? Not at all

Hope this helps!
Thanks,
-Curly

May 3rd, 2019, 2:27 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Welcome aboard!

Yoder_Herb
May 6th, 2019, 1:06 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Appreciate the reply Curly. My hesitation is similar to your statement about using the Yoder as your primary grill when time allows. I am not sure what the additional time needed to grill amounts to over a gas grill. Still researching and overthinking.

May 6th, 2019, 6:26 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

The new ACS controller in the Yoder Smoker pellet cookers is super fast to heat up to grilling temperature. viewtopic.php?p=10379#p10379

Yoder_Herb
May 7th, 2019, 10:26 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Good Info- Thanks Yoder Herb

Return to Introduce Yourself