Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
January 29th, 2019, 2:31 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to say hi and join the community! I have had my awesome YS640 for about a month now, and loving it! I was the VERY LUCKY winner of the GrillGrates yearly giveaway prize, which was a brand new YS640! A big shout out to the guys over there, and also to Phil and the crew at All Things BBQ for shipping it to me and answering all my questions about it! And when the drip bucket that came with the smoker leaked on my first use, Phil sent me a higher quality one right away - awesome customer service! I've gotten my cover and bags of pellets from them, they are great!

As for me, I've been smoking and grilling for a while now, started on Weber kettles (still have one!), then went through a couple of cheap stick burners over the last 8 years or so, and they have rusted away sadly (still holding onto and repairing the one!). I also have a Weber Genesis II that I love for quick grilling. l live in Huntington Beach, CA, pretty close to the Pacific Ocean, so stuff rusts - hoping I can keep this YS640 going for a long time though!

So far, I've smoked ribs, brisket, tri tip and a prime rib on the Yoder, and EVERYTHING has been outstanding! My brother has had pellet smokers for years, and I always swore I'd never leave my stick burners, but man, this thing just makes great bbq and does it easily! Now that I have a 3 year old running around, and hoping for another kid soon, I can see getting used to this "lazy man's" smoker real fast! haha I do miss the thicker, smokier bark from my stick burners, but the flavor and juiciness with the Yoder, with no fiddling with the wood/temps all day is worth it!

Looking forward to a lot of great cooks with this smoker, and interested to try grilling on it with the Grill Grates also! I'll try to upload some pics of my first few cooks (I'm not super tech savvy, hope it works!)

January 29th, 2019, 2:32 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Ah, I guess my pics are too large, I'll see if my wife can help me re-size them and I'll try to post again...

Attachments
tri tip 2.jpg
Tri Tip
brisket 2.jpg
Brisket
ribs 2.jpg
St Louis ribs
prime rib 2.jpg
Prime Rib
January 29th, 2019, 3:22 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Welcome aboard! Food looks awesome!

Yoder_Herb
January 29th, 2019, 3:45 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Nice!! Man, I'm glad to see that someone really does win those contests. LOL
The food looks great!

January 29th, 2019, 4:05 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks guys! Yeah, I felt the same way (Does anyone ever actually WIN these giveaways???) When I got the call from Michael at GrillGrates, I thought it was a prank or something! haha But nope, I was the lucky winner...so now I can't say "I never win ANYthing!" And the timing couldn't have been better, with my two old stick burners dying a slow, rusty death...I repaired the old Smoke Hollow stick burner just enough to keep it usable as a backup, but the Chargriller (donated from my dad after he used it mostly up) was sent to the recycler... man, those things look like a soda can next to this tank of a Yoder!!

Return to Introduce Yourself