Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
November 15th, 2017, 2:37 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi Everyone,
I've been here for a little, but am finally getting around to posting. I purchased a used YS1500 a few months ago and was a little disheartened that it hasn't held the temp as consistent as I expected. Admittedly, I hadn't read any of the helpful pages and already see a few things that I need to change. Example, I don't think my chimney is flush and I have been placing the thermometer cords in the front. I'll keep searching, but in case someone sees this post, i have a few questions.

For smoking, is the sliding plate supposed to be completely closed?

Should i just leave the smokestack 50% open at all times?

Is the latest firmware still B20?

Is there a picture of how the burn grate should fit? I read the manual and understand that there shouldn't be more than a 3/16 gap, but id just like to see one. I'm also not sure if the igniter on mine is sitting in the right place. it seems low.

Nice to meet everyone and thanks for the help@

November 15th, 2017, 1:54 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Welcome aboard!

The HMS damper (sliding plate) is used to compensate for temperature differences, and in most cases will be fully closed.

The chimney damper is the fine tune adjuster for temperatures in the cooker.

Yes, B20 is the latest firmware.

Here is a picture of an early model 1500 showing the burn grate fitment in the firebox

1500 burn grate.jpg

viewtopic.php?p=4035#p4035

viewtopic.php?p=6709#p6709

Here is how we test. We do the exact same thing for the YS1500, except the probes are at 14' and 28" download/Stuff/ys640%20temp%20profile%20U29.pdf

Yoder_Herb
November 17th, 2017, 3:43 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:Welcome aboard!

The HMS damper (sliding plate) is used to compensate for temperature differences, and in most cases will be fully closed.

The chimney damper is the fine tune adjuster for temperatures in the cooker.

Yes, B20 is the latest firmware.

Here is a picture of an early model 1500 showing the burn grate fitment in the firebox
1500 burn grate.jpg

viewtopic.php?p=4035#p4035

viewtopic.php?p=6709#p6709

Here is how we test. We do the exact same thing for the YS1500, except the probes are at 14' and 28" download/Stuff/ys640%20temp%20profile%20U29.pdf

Really appreciate the info. I asked a few question in the adjustment thread that you included. Really interesting results based on the study. I'll definitely do the same types of tests and see where my baseline is. Looking forward to learning a bunch.

Return to Introduce Yourself