Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
August 12th, 2017, 7:56 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

It's a big day for me today as I'm picking up my new YS640! Bought it almost three weeks ago over the phone/email and first now able to drive and pick her up!

Love this forum, look forward to learning more and sharing some of what I do and will do on my smoker. While not new to smoking/grilling, I am new to the Yoder family. After a month of not being able to smoke or grill due to waiting for parts, then wrenching on my GMG Jim Bowie - I made the executive decision to upgrade to what I think is the best in the class - The Yoder.

So, this post is not only to introduce myself but to ask a question. If you had the chance to start over, from day one with your smoker, what would you do different, if anything?

For instance, wrap the drip tray with foil or not? Those type of things...

For the introduction part of this post, here goes:

My name is Mark and my wife and I recently moved into a condo just outside of Milwaukee. I have lived here in Wisconsin all my life. I've burned more food on the grill than I want to mention which made me look into the pellet grills. I've never turned back and will never use any other type of grill for smoking.

I have four kids of my own, plus two step kids. I've been blessed with seven grandkids now as well. It was pretty drastic for us to move from a large four bedroom house on an acre of land to this condo, but we did it. I had to give away three other grills that I had since there are a few condo association restrictions to deal with. So I will be wheeling out my Yoder to the driveway each time I grill or smoke. Not a big deal really, as that's what I was doing with my Green Mountain Grill (which I now took to my day job so that I can grill at work now too).

That's me in a nutshell. I look forward to any feedback on what I should do from day one, or suggestions on burn-in or how to trailer my Yoder when I take the show on the road (or bringing it home today too I guess).

Mark

Yoder YS640
GMG Jim Bowie
Blacksone 36" Griddle
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
Uni Pizza Oven
**The rest of the line up went to the kids when I moved to my Condo
August 12th, 2017, 2:19 pm
Site AdminSite Admin
August 13th, 2017, 11:05 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks Herb!

She's all un-packed and assembled. Now time to do the initial burn and and figure out what's for dinner!

Yoder YS640
GMG Jim Bowie
Blacksone 36" Griddle
Uni Pizza Oven
August 14th, 2017, 11:11 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Hey Mark,
first welcome to the forum and congrats on your choice!

I too have the 640 w /comp cart. My best advise is do not try to out think the 640...let it do its thing. In the beginning I was raising and lowering too often instead of letting it hit its set point and going from there.

As far as accessories, I waited a year until I got a thermal blanket but think in the long run it pays itself off as well as saves a little time in the winter. The grill grates are great for grilling but I find using the flat side saves cleanup time. The optional two piece HMP likewise saves time in cleaning as well as changing (racks and HMP) back and forth between grilling and smoking. I personally like to foil the HMP but many do not...

I have owned for three years now and find with regular cleanup the Yoder will treat you well. We all have our go to's, but perusing the internet and other sites for recipes and ideas will expand your cooking palate.

August 14th, 2017, 1:00 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

westhemess1 wrote:Hey Mark,
first welcome to the forum and congrats on your choice!

I too have the 640 w /comp cart. My best advise is do not try to out think the 640...let it do its thing. In the beginning I was raising and lowering too often instead of letting it hit its set point and going from there.

As far as accessories, I waited a year until I got a thermal blanket but think in the long run it pays itself off as well as saves a little time in the winter. The grill grates are great for grilling but I find using the flat side saves cleanup time. The optional two piece HMP likewise saves time in cleaning as well as changing (racks and HMP) back and forth between grilling and smoking. I personally like to foil the HMP but many do not...

I have owned for three years now and find with regular cleanup the Yoder will treat you well. We all have our go to's, but perusing the internet and other sites for recipes and ideas will expand your cooking palate.

Thanks Westhemess1 - sounds like some good advice to me.

I was thinking about the grill grates and direct grilling on the Yoder. I'm used to just placing the grill grates right on top of the rack as if you were smoking something, (like I did on my GMG grill). That way there is only cleanup needed on the heat defuser/drip tray, correct? No drippings would go down into the fire pit or bottom of the smoker.

Yoder YS640
GMG Jim Bowie
Blacksone 36" Griddle
Uni Pizza Oven
August 14th, 2017, 1:38 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Yes but what I was trying to convey is when using the optional grill grates with the groove side up it makes nice grill marks but is a pain to clean so I almost always use the flat side up. There is a nice tool/spatula that works well but nothing works good enough to save the extra work.

Also, I am probably one of the few that lines the bottom of the pit with aluminum foil. Really not a problem for smoking but when grilling there is a lot of splatter...I am of the camp of less mess, less clean up = longer lasting, newer looking grill.

Good luck...the fun is just beginning!

August 18th, 2017, 6:09 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

westhemess1 wrote:Yes but what I was trying to convey is when using the optional grill grates with the groove side up it makes nice grill marks but is a pain to clean so I almost always use the flat side up. There is a nice tool/spatula that works well but nothing works good enough to save the extra work.

Also, I am probably one of the few that lines the bottom of the pit with aluminum foil. Really not a problem for smoking but when grilling there is a lot of splatter...I am of the camp of less mess, less clean up = longer lasting, newer looking grill.

Good luck...the fun is just beginning!

Understood on using the flat side - makes sense to me!

I love using grill grates for getting those awesome sear marks on steaks etc. I'm used to just placing them on top of the normal grates, whether it is on my Weber, or my GMG Jim Bowie. By keeping the heat diffuser/drip pan in place - no grease droppings at all will go into the bottom of the smoker, simply run down the drip pan and into the bucket just like if you were smoking something.

In any event, looking forward to the weekend and getting a half dozen ribs on!

Yoder YS640
GMG Jim Bowie
Blacksone 36" Griddle
Uni Pizza Oven

Return to Introduce Yourself