Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
March 9th, 2017, 10:49 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Just Got my YS 640 last week and am nothing but impressed. All the research most definitely payed off. Moved up from a Traeger Lil Tex Elite. Had nothing but great cooks on the Traeger but the Yoder is next level cooking. Thanks for the great pit!

March 10th, 2017, 10:36 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Welcome aboard!

Yoder_Herb
March 10th, 2017, 11:12 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks so much.

March 10th, 2017, 11:22 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Just out of curiosity, what's the general consensus on putting foil on the diffuser? Used to keep foil on the "other" pellet pit but was thinking about just seasoning the Yoder plate with the same stuff I use on my cast iron Dutch ovens and just scrape it clean after every cook as I vacuum the ash out anyway. TIA for any advice.

March 10th, 2017, 4:26 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

It is a personal choice. I no longer foil, just scrape.

Yoder_Herb
March 10th, 2017, 5:16 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

I didn't foil the first few times. When you do 6 pork butts the gunk gets thick on the diffuser. By now mine was seasoned. I put HD foil which just happens to be the perfect width. You MUST make sure the left and right sides are VERY well tucked FLAT on the underside, especially the right side or it will block very very important air flow. I have been doing this for over 3 years now. My old style diffuser has never warped nor any issues with my new door diffuser.

You start removing foil by tearing the foil from the right side and roll it up and tear it off from the left side. Then you remove the diffuser and vacuum and clean as normal. I still take a scrubby pad to the diffuser and wash it with the grates every many months, depends how often you use it.

I'm happy with this way to put foil on. I put the diffuser on the outside grate, slide to the left, tear my foil and fold very well on the left side, maybe 1" on the underside. Then pick it up, move to the right and fold the 1" or less foil VERY tight on the bottom right like the left side. Then just flatten the foil on the top and put the diffuser in.

Return to Introduce Yourself