Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
January 31st, 2017, 2:25 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hey folks - I have a 640 with a thermocouple on the back wall. Over the weekend, with the smoker temp increasing, the display temp suddenly started dropping. Does this sound like a bad thermocouple?

Thanks,
Michael

January 31st, 2017, 7:30 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

If it showed the dropping temp within a minute or so after pushing the START button, yes, it is probably the thermocouple. If the build date on the door plate is within 3 years, it is covered under warranty. Send an email to customerservice@yodersmokers.com

If it is out of the 3 year warranty, you can order a replacement here: http://www.atbbq.com/yoder-smokers-ys-s ... -wall.html

Yoder_Herb
January 31st, 2017, 8:41 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks for the reply. The temp drop actually occurred about 3 hours after I did a low temp smoke. I removed heat diffuser, added grill grates and increased temp. I walked inside and came out to a levelled off 425. As I was standing there, the temp display began dropping dramatically - to 190 then on down to 180. Plenty of pellets and it was HOT, so something odd happened.

January 31st, 2017, 8:52 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Do you unplug your cooker when not in use, and make sure that you start all cooking sessions by plugging in the cooker, or if it is plugged in, unplugging for a minimum of 30 seconds?

The thermocouple is normally good or bad, nothing in between. I would suggest that you continue to cook on it and monitor the issue.

Yoder_Herb
February 1st, 2017, 9:35 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I do. It's always unplugged and stored out of weather. Heard from Joey and emailed him some info.

Return to Introduce Yourself