Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
August 4th, 2016, 11:25 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello all!

I just sold my MAK 1 Star this week, so I am in search of a replacement. I was leaning heavily toward just upgrading to the new model 1 Star, bigger, and definitely better. But then I got to thinking, I've always liked the look of the Yoder's...why not give them a try?

My main beef with MAK, is that they charge A LOT for accessories. Not only that, but what they call accessories, I consider mandatory (side shelf, second tier rack...ect). I've owned it 2-3 years, and it's been great, and they have greatly improved their new 1 Star...but i'm feeling it's time for a change.

I searched for a local dealer, and I have a couple here in the Bay Area, I'm going to head on down on Saturday, trailer in tow, and cash in hand. I'm really wanting the 640 w/comp cart, but in my case, it will be a bit of overkill. Sure, I'll haul it out for a couple backyard comps per year, but other than that, it'll pretty much stay put. What bugs me about the standard 640, is the puny little casters they put on it. If someone can explain the philosophy behind this choice, please enlighten me, because it seems more than a little ridiculous IMO.

Some of my concerns about switching to Yoder are...

I've heard of big temp fluctuations in the past, has this been resolved?

Working the damper, does it function, and serve the intended purpose well?

If I go 640 with standard cart, will I have issues with the casters?

I'm looking forward to getting a bit of education before Saturday am, thank you all in advance for your help.

Tim
Livermore, CA

Tim
August 5th, 2016, 1:38 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Welcome aboard!

The Yoder controller shows you a 90 second rolling average. Most other brands can have over 10 minute delays between reading on the display. So when the temperature does fluctuate, you see it, where on other brands the display just looks like it is reading correctly. Take a look at this: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=786

The casters have been upgraded, and we have had very few complaints. If you are going to travel with the cooker, or move it extensively, I would suggest the comp cart.

I leave my damper pulled all the way to the chimney, and back in a few inches, all the time. It has been there since 2012. I grill and smoke with it in this position.

Yoder_Herb
August 5th, 2016, 4:10 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks Herb!

So are the casters better than what's shown on the website?

I'll probably only transport it to a few backyard comps per year, not sure if the comp cart is necessary, but it sure does look nice.

Upgrading to the comp cart comes with SS shelves, any other differences?

Probe ports, necessary, or no? My local dealer has his in stock models to include them, just not sure what kind of probes they accommodate.

Tim
August 5th, 2016, 5:34 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=603

Probe ports will accommodate most of the off the shelf temperature probes and thermometer kits.

You can but the comp cart and use the standard wire shelves, but this may require you to order a unit specifically if the dealer(s) already have a comp cart model with the SS shelves. Other than that, the power cord plugs into the end of the cart, and the fuse is mounted to the end panel.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Introduce Yourself