Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
August 26th, 2014, 4:14 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hey guys, friends call me Wheezy.... because I wheeze. That's a story for a different time though.

I recently bought my first smoker, it's a small ugly barrel smoker. I've pulled off some excellent baby backs, and I'll wager my tri tip can hang with the best of em. Pun intended. I've done a few other things and have realized the significant limitations of this particular smoker setup and I also realized, I like to cook. Have had an amzing wife for the past 17 years that also loves to cook and I just never really got into it until the purchase of the smoker.

So, my curiousity grew, as did my interest in trying bbq places around town. (my favorite is a place called Bad To the Bone in San Juan Capistrano). With that came a desire to "upgrade". As I read around more and more, I quickly realized a Traeger probably isn't for me as it would be mere months, if not only weeks before I would want "more".

Well, that led me to look at higher end units of different styles and narrowed it down to MAK or Yoder. For my intentions at this point, the YS640 seems like the perfect matchup. The MAK seems a bit overpriced in my opinion, and honestly, I think it's ugly. ***NOT that looks matter when it comes to smokin food***

I'm headed out on Vacation in two weeks and thus have delayed a purchase until we return and the ol' bank account gets a bit replenished. I'm taking the wife to Hawaii, so it'll be a spendy one. That said, I'm really looking forward picking one of these units up when we return. To be candid, was kind of hoping there would be a Labor Day Sale so I could justify buying it NOW.

Anyhow guys, that's about all I can think of for now. Look forward to being a member of this community and learning from all of you more experienced guys! :mrgreen:

I like to make Meat Candy
August 26th, 2014, 4:50 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

I think I saw on the YS website, or possibly All Things BBQ, that Yoder is having a price increase coming soon, like maybe before you're back, so you might want to check it out and go ahead and buy it now anyway! As a several year 640 owner, I'm sure you won't be disappointed, except that you'll need to do a burn in instead of cook immediately out of the box! ;) Happy vacation and happy smoking when you return! :)

August 26th, 2014, 5:02 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

It's on sale "now" if you take the price increase into account. Seriously, if for no other reason than it's the best out there for multi use, buy it for the customer care. That's what they do, just as well as building a great product.

Happy smoking, have fun on the islands. Been twice an loved it. Would go more, but 12 hours on a plane is a bit too much for me!

Brent
Snoring Hog's BBQ

Yoder Competition YS640
Yoder Competition YS1500
Yoder Competition Frontiersman
XL Big Green Egg, Back Woods Smoker & a small herd of "Dead" smokers in the smoker cemetery.
August 26th, 2014, 5:50 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Welcome aboard Wheezy! I picked up my 640 a few months ago and really like it. She is a good cooker and is way better built than other pellet cookers. I have been cooking for years on another style of cooker but when I decided to add a pellet cooker my research made it obvious that Yoder was the way to go. You won't be disappointed with the purchase.

Mike
Eagle River Barbecue

YS640 Comp Cart
Stumps Platinum 5
August 26th, 2014, 5:58 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Welcome aboard!

Yoder_Herb
August 27th, 2014, 12:03 am
* Durnago ** Durnago *

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for joining the group!

August 27th, 2014, 9:43 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hey guys, thank you so much for the warm welcome. I lurked around a bit last night and again this morning.

I wasn't aware of the price increase!!!! I've got a church meeting tonight, but plan on stopping by "California Pellet Grills" on my way home tomorrow. Although, probably still going to have to wait to return from the vacation for a purchase.

I'm fired up though. Can't wait to step it up to the next level.

Thanks again for the welcome, this place is great!

I like to make Meat Candy
August 27th, 2014, 10:03 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Hello from Lincoln

Yoder Smokers YS1500, Yoder Smokers 24" Firepot, Yoder Smokers YS640 CompCart(sold)

Return to Introduce Yourself