Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
July 20th, 2016, 4:34 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello,

So to start with I currently do not own and have never owned anything but a gas grill. My inexpensive gasser has pretty much reached the end of it's lifespan, in fact this is my fifth grill over the last 25 years to become scrap. So in trying to find something that I will never have to replace I started researching grills after a recent event (Grill Fest 2016) in Saint Paul where I was exposed to all types of grills of different types by BGE, Primo, Louisiana, Memphis, Traeger, Rec Tec etc.

Well the Memphis grill really interested me and I started researching different types of grills. When I say grill I really mean all types of grills, smokers and cookers. In doing the research I of course came across all the different manufactures most of you are probably very familiar with including the Yoder. I'm not sure where exactly I came across a review on the YS640 but the specs of this grill really caught my attention. The three things that stood out originally to me were the Made in USA tag, the fact that the body, firebox, lid etc all seem to be built with durability and longevity in mind and the good reviews on customer service. After reading more.. actually much more I am very happy with what I see specifically the new two piece heat/drip shield, what a great idea! At this point I can't really see another pellet grill on the market for the money that can equal it.

At this point I am leaning heavily toward the YS640 over the Rec Tec and a Primo XL. I don't think a lump style charcoal grill is my best option because I am pretty darn lazy and the ease of pellet grills really appeals to me. I will be purchasing something in the near future to jump headlong into the smoking//grilling world without gas. I will keep reading this and other forums and websites for more insight into my next investment.

Regards
Zug
Minnesota

July 20th, 2016, 5:05 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Welcome!! You will love the Yoder! I too was like you and cooked on gas forever... Made the switch on December of last year.... Couldn't be happier! Don't wait any longer man! ;)

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
July 20th, 2016, 6:55 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Let me say from a newbie myself (just got my YS640 3 days ago), I will never go back to charcoal or gas. I too looked at several brands before spending money on a Yoder (I'm a sceptic at heart). Yes most pellet grills will do the same thing, but when it comes to build quality and temperature consistancy, that's were the comparisons ended. I have a friend that has several Yoders, so I also had an advantage of seeing a few different sizes in action. I was impressed.

You stated you'd like to find something that will last a long time; I did too. I work in the heavy industrial industry and this pit is built like a tank. The pit itself is darn near 300lbs. You also stated you like the ease of pellet grills. Example: I wanted to cook a few burgers really quick today. Come home, plug in grill, flip the switch, the onboard computer does it's magic, and I would say within 15 minutes, a thin blue smoke was rolling from the stack and the pit was up to 350lbs.

You'll be very happy with one of these pits, I know I am.

YS640
July 20th, 2016, 8:22 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

jfrederick... I hope I don't have to. I usually never buy things unseen hence I don't usually order things off the internet. So I'm hoping to see one of these things in action somewhere near my home in the Twin Cities. I have already noticed a few owners who live in or around my area and am hoping negotiate a demonstration.

tcb-1.... With a family I too have the need to knock out a quick meal after work but I am really looking forward to the extended cooks that I know will come with a unit like this.

July 21st, 2016, 9:32 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Welcome aboard!

There are 2 dealers in Minnesota:

Quetopia BBQ Supply & Catering Inc
5757 Sanibel Drive Unit #8Minnetonka, MN 55343 (952) 405-8495

Marshall Spas & Pools
401 South Highway 23Marshall, MN 56258 507-532-2015

Yoder_Herb
July 22nd, 2016, 2:54 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Herb,

Thanks for the heads up. Minnetonka is just across town and a beautiful city around the lake, not to mention some very nice eats in the area.

Maybe a viewing and brunch at 6Smith this weekend.

Zug

Return to Introduce Yourself