Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
July 18th, 2016, 5:14 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello gang,

I am the proud owner of a new YS640... and I mean PROUD! I just completed the initial burn-in without the diffuser and grates, and then another hour with the diffuser and grates. Next comes another burn with a Pam non-stick spray application to the grilles. Getting very close to starting my first cook on this beast!!

A buddy and close neighbor of mine, Andy Groneman, said I should look into the Yoder pellet smokers models before building a free standing pit. I am not a competition cooker, just someone who loves a well smoked rack of ribs or brisket; maybe a turkey around Thanksgiving. Once Andy showed me the features and the build quality of a Yoder, my mind was completely changed. I tried to find a fault in the Yoders, but I simply could not. Every pellet grill out there is NOT the same. When it takes 3 grown men to lift and move a smoker of this size, you know it's made right! That weight means heat that stays in the pit, not escaping through 18 gauge sheet steel :o

I also want to thank Mike Roark of Yoder for taking the time to answer my questions and helping me through the purchase. I have never had a company reply to my emails in the short amount of time Mike did. Amazing.

So in short,
1. Build quality - check
2. Made in the U.S. - check
3. Great warranty - check
4. Upgradable (if needed) software - check
5. Amazing sales and service - check

Looking forward to learning and creating.

Doug,
Shawnee, KS

YS640
July 18th, 2016, 7:31 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Hello and welcome!!!
Congrats too!!

July 18th, 2016, 8:31 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Welcome aboard! Do me a favor and throw a bunch of empty beer cans, wine and whiskey bottles on AG's lawn.

Yoder_Herb
July 18th, 2016, 8:39 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:Welcome aboard! Do me a favor and throw a bunch of empty beer cans, wine and whiskey bottles on AG's lawn.

Ha, most of those empties I've helped him create lately, phew!! Andy's a good guy and a great advocate for Yoder. So happy with my purchase.

YS640
July 18th, 2016, 9:52 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Welcome aboard! Im down in Wichita and couldn't agree more with your comments on the Yoder. Andy is a good dude from what I hear - still wanting to catch a class of his at ATBBQ.

How did you get your cooker spec'd out?

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
July 19th, 2016, 7:33 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Jfrederick wrote:Welcome aboard! Im down in Wichita and couldn't agree more with your comments on the Yoder. Andy is a good dude from what I hear - still wanting to catch a class of his at ATBBQ.

How did you get your cooker spec'd out?

Yep, Andy is a pretty good guy to have around! I too would like to drop in on a few classes in Wichita sometime. Maybe I can hitch a ride down with the teacher?!

As far as my pit, I got sort of bare bones. I bought the 640 on the regular cart, full width second shelf, grille grates, and a cover. I have a few items I plan on adding, but since this is my first pellet grille, I would like to wait until I get a feel of what I'm doing before upgrading. I know I'll eventually buy a thermometer probe port and the diffuser with access is probably high on the list too.

Just put my cover on last night and it fits like a glove. No generic stuff here, this cover is fitted!

This grille, by far, is the best investment I've made in some time.

YS640
July 20th, 2016, 1:00 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Welcome. Did my 3rd brisket yesterday. Just about got it down. Not one complaint and no leftovers.

July 20th, 2016, 6:31 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

RichM wrote:Welcome. Did my 3rd brisket yesterday. Just about got it down. Not one complaint and no leftovers.

I've just smoked a few simple things on mine (had it for 3 days now). Trying to get better acquainted with damper use and placement of meats for different temps within the pit. I am heading to a reputable butcher this weekend to explore better cuts of meat and how to tell the difference!

I am very inexperience as opposed to most who own these awesome grills, so it's a learning process for me. But I am looking forward to the journey \m/

YS640

Return to Introduce Yourself