Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
July 18th, 2016, 2:10 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi. I have noticed in some of the online videos of the YS 640 that some people cover the front of the smoker with tin foil. This is the area from where the lid opens and below. I would imagine it is to keep the front of the smoker clean and in good condition. This looks like something I would do being an OCD clean freak but wanted to know if anyone knows. Doe anyone know how hard is it to keep the paint looking new on the front of the smoker? I hope to have delivery of my new YS 640 the second week of August....thanks in advance for any help!

Flotilla Staff Officer PV
USCG Auxiliary Flotilla 6-5
Scott.flotilla65@outlook.com
July 18th, 2016, 3:46 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Hey Scott,
I do not cover with foil (but did for a few cooks in the beginning) but in my opinion that is as much for spillage ie sauce and the like as much as it is for protection of the paint. I will say that I bought the thermal cover after the fist year I had my 640 and decided to keep it on full time. My thought was it would protect the paint and it probably does. However, I have noticed that after a year or so there is some coloration that happen from smoke getting trapped between the pit and the blanket. I would think this could happen also if foil is left for long periods of time. I would also think that most that do probably change foil after each or every few cooks...I found that to be a pain and really a year or so later think my pit looks pretty good.

I have not painted and do not anticipate I will have to any time soon on the outside.

July 18th, 2016, 4:00 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks West!
I don't think I will need the blanket in Miami but makes sense that the foil could end up doing the same thing. I think if I just clean it well after each use I might be fine. I can se how spilling of sauce and splattering of the cooking juices as you mentioned could drip down the front and if not cleaned could leave permanent discoloration.

Glad to hear yours still looks good without any outside painting repairs!! Thanks again for responding!
Regards,

July 27th, 2016, 11:21 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hey West!
Do you know if there is any way to add a storage shelf to the competition cart to store utensils and such? thought you might have some ideas. I see the regular YS640 has a lower shelf that would work for that.
Thanks

July 27th, 2016, 12:21 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Hey Scott,
I do remember fairly recently there was a short thread where someone claimed (without pics) that they had welded a rack either under or on back of the pit for storage. I do remember at one time asking that exact question as I think all of us at one time wish there was an easier way to store what we are not using.

In the end I ended up making use of some outdoor cabinet area under my sink to store and it works fine for me (and keeps thing out of sight). I keep a sealed lid large flat container for my pellets...holds about 60 lbs under the drain area of the sink on one side and sectioned off the other side to hold grill grates,diffuser and even a small designated shop vac when not in use.

Hope all is well...

July 27th, 2016, 12:49 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hey West!
I sort of figured I would need a place to store the items not in use but thought maybe there was something that you had thought of already. It is probably better to store everything as you do in a cabinet and a sealed container for the pellets. It would be nice to have that storage shelf and maybe Yoder will offer it as an additional option in the future. I did invest in a Shop Vac and most of the accessories I will need but with limited space on my tiny patio, I will need to come up with something. I still need to invest in the Grill Grates with my Smoker arriving in 2 weeks however I think I broke the bank and need to wait a bit as a breather. I plan on trying to smoke a turkey for my first test, any special (EASY) recipes you have? I read the one that is in the recipe area here but thought you might have some thoughts....thanks so much for your help with everything!
Regards,

July 27th, 2016, 5:47 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Scott - this is what I did and I love it. Hope it helps!

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=877

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
July 28th, 2016, 6:31 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Jfrederick wrote:Scott - this is what I did and I love it. Hope it helps!

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=877

Wow great set up! Thanks this is exactly what I need to organize everything so that I keep my wife happy. Thanks for the link.
Regards,

July 29th, 2016, 10:26 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Hey Scott,
Honestly I have only done two Turkeys. One regular and the other the spatchcock. I will say that anytime I am looking for something new I usually just type in Yoder smoker ______. I usually get directed to another forum or directly to a recipe. I did inject the regular one with some Belgium beer that my wife brought back from Brussels but between that and using Hickory pellets I found that it was a little to strong of an aftertaste for me.

Wish I could be of more help but I'm more of a rib,brisket,chicken and fatty guy along with Jalapeno poppers...bacon rapped of course. Also had good luck making different kinds of bacon (still need a good slicer) with occasional jerky. My wife loves salmon and here in the Pac NW the COPPER RIVER salmon is somthing that most never even get to see yet alone taste as the season is so short.

August 8th, 2016, 10:52 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks West! I will certainly ask you for the Beef Jerky instructions once I am ready as well as ribs. My smoker is supposed to ship tomorrow so I am looking forward to getting ready for my fist Smoked Turkey!!

November 21st, 2016, 3:14 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hey West!
Hope all is well!! I am looking to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving and was hoping you had one of your special recipes you could share that does not use brining. Everything you have suggested to date had been great so any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks again!

November 22nd, 2016, 1:14 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Hey Scott,
yes all is well, got a little two week vacation in to Hawaii and am back and ready for the holidays. I do not really have a go to Turkey recipe that I use. We usually do ours in the oven. We do at times do a turkey breast in the yoder and have tried a maple glazed on a full bird but as of yet we usually go back to old style oven baked.

Last year or the year before Herb sent a couple recipes that I did not try but am sure that he did that might work but other than that if you punch in Yoder turkey you will get a number of varieties. Not sure if Herb want me to promote other sites but if you surf around you will see that there are two or three that pop up alot meaning that they are the bigger sites.

Wish I could be of more help but don't want to recommend something that I don't love myself!

Hope all is well on your end...enjoy the holidays!

November 22nd, 2016, 11:09 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Most standard store bought turkeys like Butterball etc are already brined. It's on the label. I like to buy non brined from a butcher store but don't want to pay $40 for a home grown free range music in the background fed with only the best Napa wines and free range non GMO hipster veggies. Got hit with that the first time, $85 for two 12 lb turkeys, never again. I go to Sprouts now. Still more money but not silly prices.

I buy non brined max 12 lb good turkeys. Better than the Butterballs. I do brine. It's better do your own brine. Be careful on size. Smoked turkeys are done low and slow many times. If it's too big you are wayyy outside the temp safety zone. Putting stuffing inside is like a breeding zone for nasties if your turkey has them.

Thaw if needed
4 days before cooking brine for 24 hours. Buy a plastic pot big enuff for two turkeys or figure it out.
Rinse put in fridge for a day to dry the skin
Make rub. Add bit of olive oil to 3/4 of rub you made. Rub under skin all the way to the thighs. Put fresh sage leaves under skin on breasts. 3 per side looks nice. Then rub the outside with the 1/4 left over rub with more oil.
Back to fridge for a day, next day it's Thanksgiving!
Put 1/2 onion, 1/2 sliced orange, fresh Rosemary and Thyme into cavity. No stuffing.
Smoke and enjoy.

Put this into Google search and also read about food safety.

simon and garfunkel rub

It will guide you too the best new guy site for smoking. Lots of why it works stuff.

The first result is the most extensive resource I found for Turkey cooking. Science and methodology.

December 9th, 2016, 5:38 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks West and Conumdrum;
Good thing we smoked our turkey this Thanksgiving! My wife took a bad fall Thanksgiving morning and hit the granite dining room table. She broke her collar bone in 4 places and we spent the afternoon in the emergency room. I had the turkey in the smoker and had her mom baste it every hour and we got home it was ready.

Attachments
11.24.16 2 1500.jpg
December 9th, 2016, 7:50 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope she recovers quickly. Turkey looks awesome.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Introduce Yourself