Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
July 17th, 2016, 11:10 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I received my YS640 about a week ago. Love the build quality by the way. So anyway today I'm cooking a butt at 235. I have noticed over the last several hrs that the left gauge consistently reads 30-40 degrees cooler than the right. Heat diffuser installed, VDD pushed in about 5-6 inched from wide open position. Didn't know if this is completely normal and i'm being way to anal or if there's some adjustments I should make.

Thanks in Advance!

July 18th, 2016, 8:55 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

The door thermometers are not part of the temperature control system, i.e., thermocouple and controller. They are not going to reflect the grate temperatures at all, and should be used as an indicator of the approximate heat in the cooker. The Yoder cookers cook from the bottom up, and the further away from the lower grate, and the center of the cooker, the cooler the temperatures will be. since the heat flows from the lower left to the chimney on the upper right, the heat on the right side will be warmer because of the heat accumulation around the chimney. If you are using foil in the cooker, the heat differential may be worse.

Yoder_Herb
July 20th, 2016, 1:01 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *
July 30th, 2016, 7:46 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *
August 27th, 2016, 1:33 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Yoder_Herb wrote:The door thermometers are not part of the temperature control system, i.e., thermocouple and controller. They are not going to reflect the grate temperatures at all, and should be used as an indicator of the approximate heat in the cooker. The Yoder cookers cook from the bottom up, and the further away from the lower grate, and the center of the cooker, the cooler the temperatures will be. since the heat flows from the lower left to the chimney on the upper right, the heat on the right side will be warmer because of the heat accumulation around the chimney. If you are using foil in the cooker, the heat differential may be worse.

The door probes are 3-4" above the heat. So they will be lower. You adjust temps like any great Pit Master and deal with simple physics. Not a big deal.

That is a great answer! Good job Herb, that answer should be stickied!

Many don't understand, I understand why you must pound the foil issue and I think you should.

Return to Introduce Yourself