Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
July 29th, 2016, 5:33 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Thanks Herb. Chicken was great. Very crisp skin. Not as much smoke as I expected. I did not know what to expect. Lots of smoke came out when I started it up but it then seemed to stop pushing out smoke even as the temp went up. I took everything out and restarted the smoker. Then it seemed to load more pellets and did smoke throughout the cook but not a great deal. This is new for me. I had a Bradely smoker that pushed out a great deal of smoke. Is there a way to get more smoke? It is just very subtle. Regardless Inreally like the unit.

I have dual temp gauges on my 640. One was at 300 and the other 350 so the average was 325 which is the temp I put in for the cook. Did the cook on the top grate and it did not take long a little over 2 hours. Dunked in the Alabama white sauce the chickens were great. I just need to keep using it and learn more about it. I really like the 640.

Jeff

Attachments
image.jpeg
August 5th, 2016, 5:40 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello all

Did my second cook this week on my 640. Did a 9 lb pork shoulder and a couple racks of St Louis cut ribs. Will do a Boston butt next time. The shoulder was heavy because of all the bones. Really did not yield lots of meat.

Adjusted the damper and kept a pretty steady 250 temp throughout. The shoulder took 9 hours and the ribs about 3.5. Did not have a probe so I wrapped the shoulder at 170 about 6.5 hours in and the ribs after 2.5. My Tappecue arrived today. Have never wrapped in the past. Everything was very tender. Ribs were probably slightly over cooked. Took the shoulder off at about 205. Lots of smoke and flavor from the rub and sauced the ribs at the end. Used a combination of hickory and apples pellets.

Really like the way the 640 worked. It was easier the second time. Thanks for the guidance Herb, I rubbed the heat diffuser with canola oil and it cleaned up easily after the cook. Minimal scraping. Just wiped it clean. Over time it will definitely season like cast iron.

Won't be long I will throw on a brisket.

Jeff

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
August 5th, 2016, 6:55 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Awesome looking food! (I fixed the post)

Yoder_Herb
August 6th, 2016, 1:01 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks Herb. Much appreciated.

Jeff

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself