Share information about who you are, what you do, where you are from, and the equipment you use.
November 20th, 2018, 11:58 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hey Yoder Fam!

Well... this membership has been a long time coming. About 3 years or so I would guess... that's about the time I found the ATBBQ YouTube Channel, where Chef Tom was pumping out videos with this amazing pellet grill that seemed to have no limitations.

I lusted over that grill for months on end, but just couldn't justify the cost to myself. There was no argument that the grill was built like a tank and that it would certainly be classified as an "investment" and not just a purchase. But even still... it was going to be something that would take some time to gather the funds for. In the meantime... my old trusty Weber 22 was just going to have to make due.

Fast forward to today... some life changes have taken place. Jobs have been moved, houses have been sold, and more money has been made. I even satiated my need for a new grill by purchasing a 22" Weber Smokey Mountain. My kettle just didn't have the real estate I needed for the briskets and things that I had started cooking.

It was time for my patience to be rewarded. So, I started looking up local Yoder dealers "in my area" because I wanted to see these things in the flesh if I was finally going to pull the trigger.

In the process of clicking through the Yoder website.... I stumbled upon the flat top charcoal grill........... oh my!

......great..... now I have to decide whether I continue down the path of the YS640 and start trying out all those amazing recipes I've been watching for the past 3 years... Or... am I going to be lured away by what appears to be the sexy unknown sister.

So, I head down to the closest dealer so that I can look at them side by side. Compare the cooking space and the specs.
Unfortunately, my local dealer didn't have the charcoal grill in house. They had multiple 480s and 640s in house with various load-outs to compare. The salesperson assured me that if I was interested in the charcoal grill... I could rest assured that the build quality was going to be identical... just as it is across their whole lineup. There were also many offsets in house, as well as a 1500. I saw all I needed to see in terms of the quality that Yoder had to offer. All of the videos, posts, comments and social media updates were true.

Down to my decision...

The winner is......the 24x48 Charcoal grill.
Don't get me wrong, I would still love to own a YS640. And there is a chance that one day I will still get one. But in the end, for my style of cooking, the charcoal grill really is going to give me the space and versatility that I'm really looking for. I can 2-zone, direct grill, smoke... whatever I want on this thing. I'm super pumped.

Now... only 6-8 more weeks and it'll be on my back patio rollin' smoke.

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone on Team Yoder as well as posting up my own information on these little known charcoal grills.

December 13th, 2018, 10:37 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Well... the day came and I didn't even have to wait the full 6-8 weeks!! I was so pumped when the shop called and said they had already received my grill.

All I've done so far is the burn in, but I couldn't be happier with my purchase. It is probably the only thing in my life I've ever purchased sight unseen... but the risk was low, and the payoff was great!

If anyone has any questions about this grill... hit me up!

Attachments
Yoder24x48.jpeg
December 13th, 2018, 12:25 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Congrats! These grills fascinate me having only recently been made aware of their existence here in Australia (actually saw one first on YouTube in a Yoder factory tour vid)

Would love to see more pics of this in action when the time comes...

Return to Introduce Yourself