Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Frequently Asked Questions**
**Register Your Yoder Cooker**
**Find a Dealer**
**The Yoder Smokers Blog**
September 30th, 2015, 10:02 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I received my YS640 today and did the burn in. When running it intermittently has a loud buzzing sound. I thought it was directly associated with auger run as most of the time when it buzzes, I hear pellets dropping into firebox, however sometimes I hear the buzz and don't hear pellet drop. It is not the outer fan which is running smoothly. Is this normal?
Temp control and everything seems to be working ok, just concerned about the sound.

Here is a link to a youtube video I did of the noise.
https://youtu.be/uviwu5sF6xM

Randy
McAllen, Tx.

October 1st, 2015, 11:48 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Definitely not normal. Personally I think if it was electrical I think you would know by now. To me it does sound like one of the fans is hanging up or rubbing against something. I do not think its the auger but you could empty all but a couple handful and watch the auger ( drop pellets) to put your mind at ease.

I think you will hear from Herb or Kirby pretty soon.

October 1st, 2015, 12:04 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks for the reply westhemess1. I was going to pull the end plate and get a better look/listen inside, but wanted to wait for yoder to approve so I don't void warranty..

October 1st, 2015, 12:59 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

My pleasure and welcome to the forum. I was going to suggest taking the end plate off but thought it would be better coming from one of the moderators. I have had mine off a few times and it really is fairly basic inside. Either way it never really takes too long to hear from one of the moderators but if you get antsy, you can always call in to yoder customer support.

I do know that when any of us are having problems it seems somewhat drastic, but honestly I think you will find out it will be pretty simple.

Won't be long just hang in there!!

October 2nd, 2015, 4:42 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Sorry for the delay, we are all in KC at the American Royal.

Yes, Take the end panel off to get a better idea of what is happening. Check the sound deadening material on top of the internal fan tunnel, under the auger motor.

Yoder_Herb
October 4th, 2015, 6:20 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb,

Good call on the issue. I got antsy and pulled the end plate. I noticed the auger motor sitting on the fan chamber/plenum. That is where the buzz was coming from. Not seeing your reply and not knowing it was supposed to have a sound deadening material between the auger motor and plenum (which it did not), I slotted the bracket holes for the bracket that mounts to the auger gear box and slid the mount down about 1/10 of an inch, which after assembly gave me about 50/1000 to 1/10 of an inch clearance between the auger motor and the fan box. I can pull the end plate to install the sound deadening material between them if I can get some. I will email customer service my address.

Thank you for the help.

Randy Ashley

Return to Manuals, Troubleshooting, Best Practices, FAQs, Cooker Registration