Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Frequently Asked Questions**
**Register Your Yoder Cooker**
**Find a Dealer**
**The Yoder Smokers Blog**
July 30th, 2015, 10:07 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi All,

When I flip the power switch on, the control unit boots up normally. I then hit the start button and the default set temp appears. However rather than going into the heating mode, the unit goes immediately into the cooling mode. The actual temperature is never displayed, only the set temp is ever displayed, along with the cooling animation. I can sit there and manually prime the firebox using the prime button, and that will get me through quick grills like for burgers, but for anything else, its a total pain. The auger is actually turning, but it only turns sporadically and for quick durations (as you would expect if the controller is in cooling mode). I've tried unplugging the unit and then replugging it in as a hard reset, but this doesn't seem to do anything.

Is there any fix for this? I've only had my Yoder for a year and it was under a covered patio all year long. I also have bubbles in the paint around the lid and on the front of the unit. Some of them have burst revealing the steel underneath. Is this normal for this product? I've tried to take good care of it because of the expense of the smoker, but it seems a little ridiculous for the paint to be peeling off already. Any suggestions would be helpful.

-Matt

July 30th, 2015, 10:58 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Please send the following to customerservice@yodersmokers.com, and reference your post above:

Your full name, shipping address and phone number

The serial number and build date from your cooker's door plate.

Pictures of the paint areas of concern.

From your description, the thermocouple is either dirty, damaged or has failed.

Yoder_Herb
August 5th, 2015, 7:01 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

So My YS1500 was half into a rib cook and started to show cool down. Now it is doing the same thing as Ieatcats. I can unplug it and start up and it shows the set point and then shows it is in cool down. Is there an easy fix or what is the issue. Any help would be great I sent email to customer service, but is there anything that I can try in mean time while waiting for response.

August 5th, 2015, 8:10 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Kerrazy wrote:So My YS1500 was half into a rib cook and started to show cool down. Now it is doing the same thing as Ieatcats. I can unplug it and start up and it shows the set point and then shows it is in cool down. Is there an easy fix or what is the issue. Any help would be great I sent email to customer service, but is there anything that I can try in mean time while waiting for response.

Since you are in Canada, you will need to work through our Canadian distributor The Smoker Broker. The email that you sent to CS, was immediately forwarded to them. You should here from them directly very soon.

You will need to replace the thermocouple. If you compete in BBQ competitions, I would suggest that you have a spare thermocouple on hand.

If you must cook with a bad thermocouple, you can remove the thermocouple wire from the controller, and run a jumper wire from T1A to T1B. This will force the controller to cook as though the temperature has been set to 350 degrees, but the temperature will not be managed, i.e., just feed pellets at the 350 degree feed rate.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Manuals, Troubleshooting, Best Practices, FAQs, Cooker Registration