Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Frequently Asked Questions**
**Register Your Yoder Cooker**
**Find a Dealer**
**The Yoder Smokers Blog**
July 26th, 2015, 2:03 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

After doing about 5 cooks, my YS640 temperature reading has consistently been higher 50 - 60 degrees then my external Maverick. I decided to do a Temperature Test and it confirmed my descrepency.

Actual temperature ranges between 207 - 222 using my Maverick

YS640 range was 259 - 281

I have version U28

No top rack in.

Any thoughts?

Sal

Yoder YS640
July 26th, 2015, 3:16 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Where is the Mav probe at? And you are close to sea level of sorts and did the boil test on the Mav probe?

July 27th, 2015, 6:00 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Any analog smoker needs to be figured out. My Yoder is kinda like yours, I have learned to adjust. Just increase the temp on the smoker. What it shows is a value, depending on your outside temp, the meat in the smoker, etc. The temp at whatever happy place you feel is important in your grill is what you need to go for. It uses fire, and big steel slabs. Kinda Caveman vs New Tech eh?.

It's not computer code or a shiny new car. Did you know most new ovens are off by at least 20f and need to be calibrated? I used my Maverick on my oven, my oven allows adjustment, try it in your oven.

Have you done the toast or biscuit test to look for hot spots across your full grill? You can buy really cheap store brand biscuits and place them all over the Yoder and see the hot spots. Bacon is more fun/tasty but costs more and seasons the grill wonderfully. Yes it's analog, more than a microwave macaroni bowl. You didn't by the Yoder for Macaroni, you bought it because:

At 10 PM you can put 6 10lb pork butts on the smoker after it's heated up. Monitor for 30 min. GO TO BED. Get up at 4-5 AM, check and foil if needed, up to you, add pellets, go back to bed. Up at 10 AM hot coffee start probing for temps.

And cook perfect steaks, use as a warm smoker for salmon. Use as a cold smoker for other things etc.

And cook awesome steaks, and easy to clean up. Make sure you keep up with the cleaning of the POT, seems many get lazy and post problems.....

Se the Yoder temp for what you want internal at your happy probe spot. It'll be fine. In smoking meat, temp is a measure, not an absolute. Time till done is not used as a measure in the smoking world. When it's done is done.

July 27th, 2015, 9:16 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

That's kinda the answer I was looking for. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't different then anybody else. I made a small butt yesterday and it was awesome.

I will have to try the biscuit test to see where the hotspots are.

I am close the sea level, not sure what that effect will have?

So for me, at this point 275 on the YS640 is the new 225 for me.

Sal

Yoder YS640
July 27th, 2015, 9:45 pm
Site AdminSite Admin
July 28th, 2015, 3:17 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Salp wrote:I am close the sea level, not sure what that effect will have?

Ohh yea, sorry. When you test a thermometer in boiling water it should be 212f at sea level. If you're in Denver, it will boil at 202f due to the altitude/lower air pressure.

Freezing temp check is done with ice cubes, water and salt.

July 28th, 2015, 11:31 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder Herb, yes, consistently 50 - 60 off. That's what triggered the post., it seemed a bit high! Ranges are above.

Sal

Yoder YS640
July 28th, 2015, 11:56 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Did you have the external probe directly on the grate, and just left of center as the test specifies?

Yoder_Herb
August 4th, 2015, 11:35 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yes sir

Sal

Yoder YS640
August 5th, 2015, 12:36 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Salp wrote:Yes sir

Please send an email with your test data from the temperature test, the serial number and build date from the door plate, your full name, shipping address and phone number to customerservice@yodersmokers.com, and reference this thread.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Manuals, Troubleshooting, Best Practices, FAQs, Cooker Registration