Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Frequently Asked Questions**
**Register Your Yoder Cooker**
**Find a Dealer**
**The Yoder Smokers Blog**
June 21st, 2015, 11:20 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi

I have a Yoder 640 and when I first received it in the mail it warmed up fine and it even sounded like a jet engine warming up. Its been about a month and a half and now it doesn't sound like a jet engine anymore and it takes for ever to heat up. It took almost 45 min the other day to reach 600. It usually heats to 350 fine and then it stays there for a long time. I have vacuumed it out a few times to make sure it wasn't dirty. I was wondering if anyone here has any ideas? I am using Treggar pellets as I don't have access to much else.

Thanks in advance
Taz1

June 21st, 2015, 12:59 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

We recommend that the cooker be cleaned before each use. Here is an article explaining why: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=454

The pellets (fuel) that you use are very important. There are vast differences in the quality of pellets. If there was a master list of pellet brands in the order of quality, in our opinion, BBQr's Delight would be at the top of the list, and Traeger would be towards the bottom. If you use a lesser quality brand of pellets, you can expect a lower performance level from your cooker.

Moisture contamination is the number one problem with any brand of pellet. Pellets must be stored where they are protected from moisture. Pellets normally have a moisture content of less than 10%, which means that they will absorb moisture in any environment that has more than 10% moisture. The pellets will not physically look different when they are moisture contaminated, but they will perform much differently. The worst thing to do is to store pellets directly on the floor, especially concrete. The bags that the pellets are in are not a moisture barrier, and will allow the pellets to draw moisture through, especially if stored directly on the floor.

Yoder_Herb
June 22nd, 2015, 7:27 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks for the quick reply I will try and find better pellets. As for the storage of the pellets I tend to store them in doors on a wooden shelf and not on the floor. I will clean the yoder again as I have just a little while ago. Didn't notice that it was dirty and even the amount of ash was limited. I used a shop vac to clean the grill.. I will try it again.

Thanks

June 24th, 2015, 12:42 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

in the list of pellets where would Green mountain pellets place. for fathers day my family gave me a bag. I have only used BBQ delight. thinking about taking Green Mountain pellets back.

June 24th, 2015, 12:51 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

I have no first hand experience using that brand of pellet, nor have I heard from which manufacturer they are sourced from.

We have had owners switch to that brand, which seemed to solve their reported problems, but how well they performed compared to the BBQr's baseline is unknown.

Sorry I am unable to provide you more input. I would suggest trying them yourself and forming your own opinion based on your first hand experience.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Manuals, Troubleshooting, Best Practices, FAQs, Cooker Registration