Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Frequently Asked Questions**
**Register Your Yoder Cooker**
**Find a Dealer**
**The Yoder Smokers Blog**
May 18th, 2019, 4:17 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Went through another igniter rod and was wondering if there is another source besides All Things BBQ that you recommend. They really soak you on freight at $15 for a light weight $40 item.

Also, I bought my YS480 in late 2016 and the local rep said that the igniter was changing to a non-contact ceramic igniter, but didnt know if that worked in the existing YS480. If they aren't, how long do you plan on making the replacements? These go out fairly fast compared to my previous smokers and having them go obsolete without replacements would be an issue.

Thank you,

Tom

May 19th, 2019, 6:04 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Here is a link that will help you verify if the igniter is bad: download/Best%20Practice%20and%20how%20to/Cooker%20Failing%20to%20Light%20.pdf

The new ceramic igniter can be retro fitted into any YS pellet cooker.

Yoder_Herb
May 19th, 2019, 6:51 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thank you Herb. Yes, it is dead. I'll get the new ceramic igniter. Is the Wifi controller upgrade available yet?

May 19th, 2019, 10:38 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

There will be Yoder Smokers ACS retrofit kits for all current models of Yoder Smokers pellet cookers available in Q3 (fall) and the pricing will be announced at that time. We will email all registered owners when the kit is available. Ceramic igniters are available for purchase currently and retail for $52.95 plus shipping and handling. All items will be available for purchase from your dealer as well. Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.

Yoder_Herb
May 26th, 2019, 10:14 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi Herb,

Thank you for the responses above. We're back up and running.

Question - When smoking pork shoulder or brisket I'm not able to get a bark on the meat like I see on the videos. Instead a get a very pretty orangeish-red hue from the paprika. I typically smoke at 225 to 250 for the first 4 hours of the process. The rubs have brown sugar in them, so I'm pretty sure I have all the pieces in place to get a good bark. I'm wondering if the pellets may be an issue. Here in the Northwest the pellets are typically a mix of the desired wood (oak, pecan, apple, etc.) blended with I believe alder. Could the addition of the alder be the reason for the lack of bark? I'm using pellets from "Gourmet Grills", who most likely private labels them from somewhere else as they are a retailer in the area.

Thanks again!

May 26th, 2019, 3:31 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

If you wrap, you must make sure that the bark is hard set prior to wrapping. From your description, it sounds like you are wrapping too soon, and the bark is melting away in the wrap. Also, never sprits/spray/mop meat prior to the bark being hard set, or you will soften or even wash the bark away.

Yoder_Herb
May 27th, 2019, 7:46 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thank you sir. I'll give that a try.

May 27th, 2019, 5:55 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Any reason why the smoker would just stop? Replaced the igniter yesterday, set up the meat, turned on the smoker and just as it was heating up it stopped.

May 27th, 2019, 6:20 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

OK, found out that the smoker is popping the GFI on the outlets. Did it twice. Any reason the new igniter would do this? its heating up fine and doesn't blow the fuse.

May 27th, 2019, 11:10 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Please contact our Customer Support Team by sending an email to customerservice@yodersmokers.com so we may better serve you.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Manuals, Troubleshooting, Best Practices, FAQs, Cooker Registration