Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Frequently Asked Questions**
**Register Your Yoder Cooker**
**Find a Dealer**
**The Yoder Smokers Blog**
October 26th, 2016, 6:32 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I own the Durango with the vertical chamber. Getting the fire going and correct temperature at the firebox end of the chamber is no problem. However, approximately 18" away at the other end of the chamber is a 100 degree drop in temperature??? Why is this and what am I doing wrong? I have used digital thermometers to compare and contrast each end simultaneously as well as upper and lower rack. I also have the Heat management plate in. Maintaining about 270ish on firebox end is perfect, but food doesn't cook on other end at 170ish. HELP ME!!

October 27th, 2016, 10:09 am
Site AdminSite Admin

The temperatures in a cooker with a vertical chamber is different than a normal horizontal offset cooker.

You can expect a 75 to 100 degree difference in the vertical chamber, compared to the horizontal. Also, because of the vertical chamber, the extreme left side of the horizontal chamber will have a 50 to 75 degrees differential. These differentials all depend on proper fire management in conjunction with proper air flow management.

Once the cooker is up to temperature and normalized across both cooking chambers, you can start to limit the stack airflow to increase the left side temperature, but do not choke the airflow too much, as this will cause stagnant smoke and may put the fire out.

Yoder_Herb
October 28th, 2016, 11:31 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thank you. I will just have to play with it and see how I can make it work. I wish I had known that before my purchase. Well, it's a learning process.

Return to Manuals, Troubleshooting, Best Practices, FAQs, Cooker Registration