Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Frequently Asked Questions**
**Register Your Yoder Cooker**
**Find a Dealer**
**The Yoder Smokers Blog**
July 23rd, 2016, 3:12 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

My Wichita cover doesn't seem to fit right, and there are multiple covers available for the Wichita (standard or with counter weight or with/without fixed stack).

My invoice only shows part # 46406, but I can't find any part numbers anywhere that would confirm if I got the right cover or not. I was under the impression that the cover for my new Loaded Wichita would not have a smoke stack sleeve because it can be turned down prior to storage, but the cover I received has a smoke stack cover and when I try to use the cover with the smoke stack in place the entire thing doesn't seem to settle into place because the smoke stack sleeve is so tight around the smoke stack.

Since there are no instructions for the cover I have no idea whether or not I'm even putting it on as intended, but I think I am. Does anyone know where the actual part numbers can be found?

BTW, photos of Wichita covers are very rare on the Web - am I the only one who bought one?

Yoder Loaded Wichita 2016
Large Big Green Egg 2014
July 23rd, 2016, 5:41 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Part #46406 is for the Loaded Wichita with removable smoke stack. For us to see what you are experiencing, please email a picture of the cover installed to customerservice@yodersmokers.com Include the serial number and manufacture date of your grill in the email.

July 24th, 2016, 9:57 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Ok, thanks. I sent an email with more details.

Large Big Green Egg 2014
July 29th, 2016, 4:37 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I had the wrong cover! The replacement cover is quite a bit different, and looks more like the covers I've seen on the YS640 pellet cookers.

Comments:
1. The first cover was heavier because it had a rubberized lining on the inside, while the new cover does not. I'm thinking there must have been issues with the rubber liner trapping moisture inside the cover, and the new material breathes better to allow moisture to escape.
2. I have to turn down the smoke stack to use the new cover. The first cover had a sleeve for the smoke stack. I think I prefer to leave the smoke stack up because it it less of a hassle, and the smoker still looks like a smoker with it up.
3. The bottom of the new cover has 4 snaps to secure it, while the original cover had a thin drawstring. The snaps are much easier to deal with.
4. The new cover is tailored to fit. Even the handle sections are sewn into the cover. The fit is excellent.
5. The logo for the new cover is printed on a patch that is sewn on. The old cover had a larger logo printed directly on the cover, and it looked cooler because the letters were so large.

Summary:
I like the fit of the new-style covers, but my ultimate cover would also include the smoke stack sleeve, and retain the large letters for the Yoder logo. :geek:

The correct cover:

The wrong cover:

Large Big Green Egg 2014
August 1st, 2016, 1:33 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

One thing I'd say about the new cover's contoured design is that it seems a bit over-engineered. The way the cover lays flat on the shelves actually inhibits the cover's ability to shed debris and water there, and I can already see tree leaves gathering in that area. I prefer the old cover's simple draping design because it didn't collect debris, and water runoff was better. :shock:

Large Big Green Egg 2014
August 3rd, 2016, 8:25 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I finally got someone to show me their Loaded Wichita cover from 2014, back when the smoke stack was not removable. The owner says it was all black originally, but the sun has faded some sections of it over time. I guess there were 2 different rolls of fabric used to make it, because some pieces faded to a maroon color and the others are still black. Not cool if you're a UT grad!

Not sure why Yoder moved away from this design, which I like better. It does seem to be a little snug due to the shelf on the firebox though. If it had snaps instead of a drawstring, and it wasn't so tight-fitting on the shelf it would be my ideal cover.

Large Big Green Egg 2014
August 7th, 2016, 8:54 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I just noticed one of the snaps on my new cover doesn't even snap right. It looks like the inner rivet part on the female side never got crimped right, and as a result it sticks up too high and prevents the male snap from going down far enough to snap in. Sigh. At least 3 out of the 4 work.

Large Big Green Egg 2014
August 7th, 2016, 10:17 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Send an email with the information to customerservice@yodersmokers.com and we will get the cover taken care of.

Yoder_Herb
August 9th, 2016, 11:42 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I was able to flatten out the rivet with a punch by backing it up with a block of wood, and the snap works good enough now. I told Joey about it today but I didn't want to do yet another replacement over something that minor.

Large Big Green Egg 2014
August 15th, 2016, 10:19 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Here's the Loaded Wichita cover in the rain. You can see how water and debris collect on the flat shelf area. These covers might be better for use under a covered patio instead of out in the weather.

The water does bead off the fabric where there is enough slope. It might have some kind of silicone coating like Scotch Guard.

Large Big Green Egg 2014
August 19th, 2017, 4:18 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

The original photo links are all broken thanks to Photobucket.

Here's the wrong cover I received (which I liked better than the new style covers):

This is the replacement cover I was given (newer style). I wish the smokestack sleeve was still available on the new version:

The back of the cover barely covers the wheel (unlike the front side), and sometimes the wind will blow it over the wheel:

In the rain, water and debris collect on the horizontal surfaces:

Update: after a year of exposure to the elements, the patch with the printing on it is very faded. The rest of the cover has held up well. I wish mine had the large letters that were on the original cover that didn't fit:

Large Big Green Egg 2014
August 19th, 2017, 4:20 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Here's the photo of the other owner's cover that faded to an odd color:

Large Big Green Egg 2014
August 19th, 2017, 4:33 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Should of bought a BMW. You would of kept it in a garage filled with nitrogen.

My cover is over three years old for my YS640, I keep it under a patio cover, it never gets rained on or do leaves come withing 20 feet. My cover still looks pristine, bit dusty. We own smokers, not a shiny car. I can't imagine a cover blowing over a steel wheel so the steel is exposed to the elements being of a major concern. It's a steel wheel and will outlast most humans.

August 22nd, 2017, 9:34 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Conumdrum wrote:We own smokers, not a shiny car. I can't imagine a cover blowing over a steel wheel so the steel is exposed to the elements being of a major concern. It's a steel wheel and will outlast most humans.

I was merely pointing out some things that could be improved with this new cover design for future customers. Overall the new material seems to be holding up well, and one thing I like about it is the fact that it doesn't trap moisture beneath it, even with the high humidity here. It breathes enough to allow the moisture to evaporate.

The material used for the logo patch is another story altogether. That material is definitely not suited for UV exposure, and should be changed to something else.

I think the uneven fit on the cover has to do with the location of the counter-weight sleeve. I'm sure the fabricators are working from some kind of pattern, and I wanted to point out the fit on mine so maybe they can re-examine the pattern to make sure the sleeve is being attached in the right place. No big deal.

I'm trying to be as impartial as I can because I'm really addicted to cooking on my Yoder and I want the company to continue its success, but as a young and growing company there is always room for improvement. I work with a quality assurance team on a daily basis, and practically everything I do at work is the result of feedback from customers or testers (it's not personal). I know Don Cary wants our feedback as owners based on what he told the Wichita Eagle in an interview on 1/28/2015:

Dan Voorhis wrote:Cary continues to tweak his line of products based on conversations with buyers or potential buyers. “Everything important you learn as a businessman, you learn from your customers,” he [Don Cary] said.

http://www.kansas.com/news/business/article8456969.html

I'm actually thinking about making my own smoke stack sleeve and sewing it onto my cover because I'm cooking so frequently I don't want to have to keep removing the smoke stack every time I put on the cover, but that's just a personal preference.

Large Big Green Egg 2014
August 23rd, 2017, 9:30 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

My other cover is over 3 years old now and still looks like the day I got it - no complaints. The materials used are definitely UV resistant, and the fact that the cover is non-porous allows me to hose it down or wipe it off with a damp cloth to keep it clean.

Large Big Green Egg 2014
August 27th, 2017, 12:55 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

The Wichita cover potecting my smoker during Hurricane Harvey:

No cooking this weekend!

Large Big Green Egg 2014
August 27th, 2017, 5:25 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Looks sad. Droopy. Hard to get it out of the rain when it's sideways!.. Stay safe!

I'll post a pic of my smoker home tomorrow in's nat habit.

August 28th, 2017, 8:10 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

She survived the night again. The wheel came out for some fresh air:

Mono version:

I took a drive around the area this morning and the roads were pretty clear (NW Houston area). Some businesses like gas stations and donut shops were already open. I'm having a donut right now! :o

Large Big Green Egg 2014
August 28th, 2017, 9:15 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I reviewed my surveillance video to see why the wheel was exposed, and it looks like a short burst of wind got underneath the cover and blew it upwards because the material is so light-weight, and the snaps don't cinch it down that good. I see my grease bucket sitting on the shelf (shiny thing) when the cover blows up:

wichita-cover-vid.gif

The heavy cover on the Big Green Egg (on the left) was not affected by the wind gust. I still wish I could have gotten the original Wichita cover that has the smoke stack sleeve, heavy material, and drawstring closure.

Large Big Green Egg 2014
August 28th, 2017, 2:48 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Okay. I see the cover for your Egg. It's really thick and shiny. I can see why it's better. How many feet of material vs your cover. Do the math. Then the cost. An Egg is kinda a shiny thing that so many are marketing for. The more bling the better. Thus the cover. Thus the diamond one being sold. Yep.

I'm amazed you went to this effort. If it was me I'd buy brass rivets and a tool to affix them to the cover and get some bungee cords to hold the cover from exposing a solid steel wheel that might someday show signs of use. If it matters.

I see the Egg to the left. Lets move it to the right of the smoker for the next 3 years. Make sure it gets maximum sun every day. Get back to me.

August 28th, 2017, 5:19 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Conumdrum wrote:Okay. I see the cover for your Egg. It's really thick and shiny. I can see why it's better. How many feet of material vs your cover. Do the math. Then the cost. An Egg is kinda a shiny thing that so many are marketing for. The more bling the better. Thus the cover. Thus the diamond one being sold. Yep.

I'm amazed you went to this effort. If it was me I'd buy brass rivets and a tool to affix them to the cover and get some bungee cords to hold the cover from exposing a solid steel wheel that might someday show signs of use. If it matters.

I see the Egg to the left. Lets move it to the right of the smoker for the next 3 years. Make sure it gets maximum sun every day. Get back to me.

Actually, I don't even think BGE offers a green cover anymore. All the new ones I've seen are black, which I assumed was to make them less conspicuous, not more blingy. I would rather have the black version. What is the diamond one? I did a search and didn't find anything matching that description.

I understand the material for the BGE cover is heavier, but most importantly it's made of a material that can withstand the elements. If Yoder offered a "premium" version made of that kind of material I would pay more for it. I almost bought a custom cover with a 10 year warranty made from Sunbrella fabric at a cost of around $400.00.

Both of my grills are on the west side of my house under 3 tall shade trees. They don't get any morning sun at all, but they do get a good amount of sunlight in the evenings during the fall when the trees drop their leaves.

It's apples vs. oranges to compare the two covers, and I do it mainly to point out how an old company like BGE (in business since 1974) has already figured out what makes its customers happy, while Yoder is still experimenting. I don't mind being a Guinea pig if it leads to a better customer experience for someone else. Bear in mind when I first started looking for a Yoder cover I couldn't even find a photo of one! Not even the ATBBQ site had a photo. Now there are photos of the various versions of the cover posted here and elsewhere along with some feedback from an actual owner.

Large Big Green Egg 2014

Return to Manuals, Troubleshooting, Best Practices, FAQs, Cooker Registration