January 6th, 2016, 7:17 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I wanted to know if anyone else has tried freezing something bought at a whole seller... like sams club or costco... and had luck later after thawing it?

On three occasions my (awesome) mother in-law has visited in the last few years and has went to one of these type stores and came home with a great looking prime grade brisket. I cannot turn down free meat, but normally when she has done this it’s been at a really bad time for me to just get it on the smoker that weekend. So my only option has been to freeze it.

I will stop here and explain... I do not! like to buy meat and freeze it. I typically always go to a fresh butcher at the very least get something that looks 'right' at the grocery store.

So these last 3 or 4 times she’s done this, I’ve later thawed it and cooked it. Its turned out dry each time. I am fairly good at cooking anything I touch, but brisket. I have only cooked 1 brisket fresh, and it turned out great. So I will contest my failures (for now) to it had been frozen.

I have tried injecting them, trying to rehydrate, I wrap them mid cook too. Just no luck. The times I have thawed them have been once in the fridge for a few days, the other times have been in a water filled cooler with ice. (normally takes 10 hours for 15lb piece)

Has anyone had luck bringing a brisket back to life after time in a freezer? Does anyone know a better method for thawing?... incase this happens again... hard to tell the poor woman 'no'. What do people do with their 'tough' meats on a bad cook? This time I chopped it up and stuck it in some stew, and also baked beans. Added great flavor to those but not the same as just 'good brisket'.

January 6th, 2016, 8:54 am
* Durnago ** Durnago *

I've cooked many briskets that were frozen with great results. I suspect that you are just taking the briskets off a little too early, many people do at first. You can't cook brisket by temp, it has to be by feel. When you can slide a thermometer or any probe will work (ice pick, etc) into the meat with no resistance, it's done. Take it out, let it rest on the counter, unwrapped if you foiled or butcher papered it, for about 15-20 minutes, then wrap up in foil or paper and wrap in a towel and place in a warm cooler for at least two hours. It just sounds to me like you are not letting the brisket cook until it's fully done. If the connective tissues don't break down properly, it will be tough and dry. Those tissues, when fully rendered, are what create your moisture.

February 16th, 2016, 3:08 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Last year I ended up with two Pork Shoulders from Sams - and Smoked one and froze the other. At the price of Beef - I would never even think about freezing. But this year we pulled the other Pork Shoulder out and let it thaw (It took forever) - but we ended up marinating it over night, and sliced it up in two inch cubes, put them on some skewers and let the Yoder Flat Top do its job. WOW did the neighbors love it.

But, you are correct - especially if you are talking Brisket or Baby back ribs (which here in KC) are high. I usually avoid freezing if I can.

January 13th, 2018, 7:51 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Rather than freezing, I "age" beef, including briskets and prime ribs, in my refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. I vacuum seal the meat and place in it in the crisper and have never had any problem. The briskets and prime ribs are always tender and tasty. I have a friend who is a chef who ages steaks this way for up to 8 weeks.

Return to Beef