Here is where you can post up your pictures showing what you cooked, how you cooked it and what you cooked it on.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**The Sauce Blog**
August 22nd, 2014, 9:29 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Ok I didn't take pics, but cooked chicken halves to 170. They were amazing and fall off the bone. The breast meat was moist. I am going to do pork butts tomorrow. I will post up some pics. That was a great cook.

August 22nd, 2014, 10:40 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

Glad to hear the cook went well. We will look forward to the pork pics.

August 24th, 2014, 11:11 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Wanted to give you all an update. The pork came out good. Part of it was a little dry. I didn't wrap it, so goign to try that next time. Today going to try some spare ribs and beef ribs. I am really having fun with this smoker.

I will try to get pics up, I am taking them on my iPad, and when I load them I get the error they are too big. If anyone has advice on how to fix that please let me know.

Happy Sunday all.

Oh and yea we did feel the earthquake here. If there is anyone on from the Napa area I hope you all are ok and didn't get much damage.

Attachments
image.jpg
4 hours into the cook
August 24th, 2014, 12:49 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Ok here is a shot of the beef ribs. Got them rubbed up and mellowing out before the cook.

Attachments
image.jpg
August 24th, 2014, 2:10 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

roushstage3 wrote:Wanted to give you all an update. The pork came out good. Part of it was a little dry. I didn't wrap it, so goign to try that next time. Today going to try some spare ribs and beef ribs. I am really having fun with this smoker.

I will try to get pics up, I am taking them on my iPad, and when I load them I get the error they are too big. If anyone has advice on how to fix that please let me know.

Happy Sunday all.

Oh and yea we did feel the earthquake here. If there is anyone on from the Napa area I hope you all are ok and didn't get much damage.

What was the texture of the pork like? Was it hard to pull and have a good amount of chew, or was is mushy and mealy? Did you let the pork rest after you took it out of the cooker? And after it pulled did you let it sit out for a while or cover it?

Wrapping won't make it any more moist really, it's not a necessary step. A few more details about your cook would help us to figure out where the error may have happened.

August 24th, 2014, 3:07 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I let it rest an hour after I took it off the cook. The internal temp was 198 when I took them off. It wasn't mushy, but parts of it were a little dryer then others. It didn't pull as easy as I thought. Cook time was 12 hours.

Thanks for all the help.

August 24th, 2014, 4:01 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

It should have been done at that temp, however each piece of meat is different. The best way to tell it is done is to check for tenderness. I like to check how lose the blade bone gets. When it wiggles free from the meat easily, the butt should be done. I will also stick my Thermapen in the middle of the butt to make sure it slides in with little to no resistance. Temp is a guideline, but tenderness is the best way to know if the meat is done. And the rest is important, which you did.

It is also possible you just got a bum piece of meat too. That happens.

Return to Look at what I cooked