Here is where you can post up your pictures showing what you cooked, how you cooked it and what you cooked it on.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**The Sauce Blog**
September 7th, 2015, 6:14 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Had a blowout today with family and friends. Did some baby backs (which always get a bit of a bad rap but I love 'em!), two young chickens (brined overnight) and jalapeno & beef sausages from Opa's in Fredricksberg Texas.

First removed the membrane from the baby backs and hit them with a salt and pepper rub, then a dusting of homemade rub. Let them sit for an hour. Got the Yoder 640 up to 230° and put them on - meat side up - for 2 hours on the bottom rack The thicker part of the rack was closest to the heat grate. I spritzed liberally with apple juice every 1/2hr. Pulled them, then got my foil laid out and spritzed that with apple juice and several squirts of my sauce (but not too much!). Placed one rack meat side down into the juice and sauce and wrapped very tightly. Cranked up the Yoder to 280° and put them back in the pit but on the top rack, meat side down, for another 2 hours. I cranked up the heat in anticipation of the chicken that would soon be on the bottom rack.

I had brined 2 young chickens over night, then took them out about an hour into the first part of the rib cook to let them warm up just a bit. I sprayed them with PAM and applied my rub. Then placed them on the bottom rack of the pit not long after the ribs took their place on the top rack. At the same time I threw the beef and jalapeno sausages on the bottom rack. The chickens were closest to the fire grate.

Sausages were done in about an hour, and the chickens were on around 2 1/2 hours or so until I hit the breast internal of around 165°. This allowed the ribs to rest nicely for at least 30 or 45min in their foil cocoons. Once the chickens were done I let those rest under a slight foil tent for about 15min. I also cut about a tablespoon of butter and just rested those on the top of the breasts. The butter melted beautifully with the rub and almost acts as a very light glaze.

Everything was very moist and tender. The chicken, when brined, never fails to amaze - so juicy! It's like magic haha. Of course I'm after more of that Central Texas style with my barbecue so the sauce was on the side. I used to just bathe my ribs in sauce before the foil and then after but now? Forget it. That succulent tenderness and tasty but not overpowering rub - allowing the full flavor of the meat to shine through - is the only way I'll do them now.

My mistake is always the sausage. Left on for just too dang long. That shriveled casing is always a giveaway that I'm not paying enough attention. They were delicious and still very moist - and the casing still actually had a nice snap - but still too done. Next time I'll get it right. At least I've been telling myself that for ages, haha.

I also originally cut the chicken breast into nice slices but then they got broken apart by a helper when transferring to the table. :)

September 7th, 2015, 9:48 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

Nice spread. I bet that smelled and tasted great!

September 13th, 2015, 12:55 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Return to Look at what I cooked