Here is where you can post up your pictures showing what you cooked, how you cooked it and what you cooked it on.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**The Sauce Blog**
September 8th, 2014, 6:04 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Finally decided to give brisket another try. My first one on the 640 didn't turn out like I was used to. It wasn't as tender and juicy as I was used to and it didn't have much of a smoke ring. That is when it hit me that the Yoder was a different style of cooker and was gonna require a bit of a learning curve.

So, I went out and got me a 14lb brisket and rubbed it down with some of my rub.

I fired up the cooker with some Lumberjack OHC pellets and put the brisket on the cooker at 4am yesterday morning. For the first 1 1/2 hours I had the temp set at 200 and then at 5:30 I bumped it up to 230. At about 10:30 in the morning, it was starting to smell good outside and the line was already starting to form to get some.

I wrapped it when it hit about 165 and it finished cooking at about 5pm. This one ended up finishing at a higher temp than normal. I had to take it to about 205 before it was done. The tenderness was good and this time there was a very nice smoke ring. It was still a bit dryer than normal but better than my first one. I don't know if this is related to the cooking environment somehow compared to my other cooker (my other cooker is a more humid cooking environment) or if it is just the brisket I got. It was a Choice, Excel brisket.

A few slices of the finished product. Sorry it is a bit blurry

Mike
Eagle River Barbecue

YS640 Comp Cart
Stumps Platinum 5
September 8th, 2014, 6:23 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Please pass the brisket...

Yoder_Herb
September 8th, 2014, 7:16 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

That looks good from here. Not sure why it was dry, could be the brisket. It also looks maybe a touch over cooked, but I bet it was still very good.

You're lucky. The only pests that line up for my BBQ are flies. I'd take the birds any day.

September 8th, 2014, 7:38 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Oh, it was still good.

I may have overcooked it a bit but it actually probed like it could have cooked a bit more. But as I sat and pondered the situation, I have noticed the bark is much crispier than my other cooker so I think that may be why it feels different when I probe it. When I first started cooking, It took me about a dozen or so briskets before I started producing consistently good results with my other cooker so it taking me a few on the 640 is no big deal. Just means I get to eat brisket for lunch at work. The smell of brisket wafting through the office gets folks noses going. :)

Mike
Eagle River Barbecue

YS640 Comp Cart
Stumps Platinum 5
September 8th, 2014, 7:46 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Well it looks great Mike!

Mike
2 - YS640 Silver Competition Carts
September 11th, 2014, 12:51 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Beautiful brisket indeed! 2 quick thoughts: 1) you could put a little pan of water on your top or bottom shelf if you want the environment a bit moister. 2) How long did you rest it after you cooked it before slicing? Other thought would be to try two at a time rather than one and see how they compare. Could do one w/ injection and one without.

September 11th, 2014, 4:42 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I typically like to let them rest about 2 hours before I slice but this one only got to rest about 45 minutes before it was time to eat. I may give the water pan a try to see what happens. I like to eat some brisket so practice is a good thing.

Mike
Eagle River Barbecue

YS640 Comp Cart
Stumps Platinum 5

Return to Look at what I cooked