Here is where you can post up your pictures showing what you cooked, how you cooked it and what you cooked it on.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**The Sauce Blog**
August 25th, 2014, 3:46 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

As I break in the Durango 24, I've been doing several smaller test cooks to work on temp control etc. I love the idea of pairing short cook items with longer cooks to take advantage of the space and fuels.

So I cut up and seasoned some steaks for dinner while the butts are getting started for the next day's event.

steak night 1.jpg

Put the steaks on for a reverse sear along with some baked potatoes.
steak night 2.jpg

After the steaks reached an IT of 110, seared them off to a med rare and served with a pile of asparagus. The potato was so big it required a second plate. Chunked the pork butts for a Saturday family gathering.
steak night 3.jpg

I love the flexibility of the Durango and can't wait to truly load it up to capacity.

Durango 24
August 25th, 2014, 4:13 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Nice. Looks delicious!!

Mike
Eagle River Barbecue

YS640 Comp Cart
Stumps Platinum 5
September 3rd, 2014, 9:17 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Gorgeous looking steak and asparagus! I buy the whole loins and ribs and cut and trim the steaks to the thickness we like--as it appears you do from the above photos. They hold great in the freezer too if you vacuum pack them and get all the air out. If I have space, I sometimes dry age the whole muscles before trimming and cutting them into steaks too. Makes a big difference IMHO. I'm sure your family or guests enjoyed that spread! Nicely done!

September 3rd, 2014, 12:45 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

^^^Thanks! yeah I find it is cheaper to buy whole and cut it down myself. I get the thickness I like and usually cut a variety for different uses. Dinner steaks, breakfast, sandwich, etc. For the 2 inch thick dinner steaks, after cooking I can cut thick slices on the bias and serve. Everyone gets the amount of steak they want. Great for those with lighter appetites, but no one gets robbed of the pleasure of cutting into that nice mid rare protein.

You are so right. Freezing them individually works great. Quick defrost for a last minute meal, etc. More expensive initial investment, but cheaper per pound and less waste on the plate.

I will dry age our holiday roast, but never have the patience for the steaks. ; )

Durango 24
September 4th, 2014, 3:21 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

How did you sear off the steak? Just got my YS 640 yesterday and starting the learning process...

September 4th, 2014, 6:19 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I'm on a Durango 24 stick burner. So I usually smoked them at around 250 - 270 until an internal temp of 110 and then move them over to the fire box grill to sear. Doesn't take long to get a good crust on them and up to a med rare IT.

On a pellet cooker, I think you would want to smoke to your target reverse sear temp (110 ish), pull the steaks and set your 640 up for direct grilling and let the cooker come up to temp. Return the steaks and sear about 5 degrease short of your target temp and let the rest/carryover finish them off for you. Top with a nob of compound butter while they rest. Use any remaining liquid on the plate after the rest as an au jus. Juicy, tender steaks every time. You can go for the more expensive, thicker cuts with confidence and not have to worry about flair ups, etc.

Congratulations on your new cooker.

Durango 24
September 5th, 2014, 6:47 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

lookin good man!!!

great pics and
a great post...

very little online about the Durango 24,,,
good to see your going to help change that...

~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Return to Look at what I cooked