Here is where you can post up your pictures showing what you cooked, how you cooked it and what you cooked it on.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**The Sauce Blog**
August 3rd, 2017, 2:50 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

If you haven't tried making homemade bacon, now is the time! It's easy. It's cheap. You won't find any in the grocery store that can compete with what you can make at home on your own grill or smoker. Here's my cure recipe for a 4-6 pound slab of pork belly:

1/2 cup coarse kosher or sea salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons cracked black pepper
2 teaspoons curing salt ( I used Prague Powder #1 )
1/2 teaspoon ground clove
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

Maple syrup for glazing prior to going on the smoker...

I smoked this at 180-190 degrees for about four hours. I mentioned in the video that my target internal temperature was 150°F. You can smoke this for any amount of time that you like. The internal temperature is not critical since the meat is cured. Lots of folks cold smoke their bacon. You just don't want to leave it on long enough where the fat starts to render out....

Enjoy!

August 3rd, 2017, 5:55 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Awesome John! Keep it up, and thank you.

I do this too, but when it comes off the smoker I vacuum seal and put in the fridge for a week to mellow before slicing.

Yoder_Herb
August 4th, 2017, 5:31 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Awesome post man! I've watched all yours so far. Did bread the other day and will try this one. Keep them coming!

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
August 11th, 2017, 9:56 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Wow, just watched. Need to wipe the drool off the keyboard!

December 7th, 2017, 6:35 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I've made this recipe now twice. The first batch I screwed up, thought I'd remembered the recipe, but judging by the inedible result, I had not. Second batch I followed precisely but the bacon is super salty, too much to eat. I rinsed after curing and the soaked for 3 hours in cold water, changing the water frequently. Would anyone have any ideas as to what I did wrong? Is there anything to be done at this point to make it less salty? Thanks!

December 7th, 2017, 6:58 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

I make bacon all the time, and use the EQ method. Do a Google search on EQ Method, or EQ bacon cure. I would suggest that you do 4 test pieces, and see which percentage is best for you, i.e., 2%, 2.5%, 3%, 3.5%. I use 2.5%, but also add sugar to the cure, which will cut the saltiness.

Yoder_Herb
September 2nd, 2018, 12:20 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

JMSetzler wrote:If you haven't tried making homemade bacon, now is the time! It's easy. It's cheap. You won't find any in the grocery store that can compete with what you can make at home on your own grill or smoker. Here's my cure recipe for a 4-6 pound slab of pork belly:

1/2 cup coarse kosher or sea salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons cracked black pepper
2 teaspoons curing salt ( I used Prague Powder #1 )
1/2 teaspoon ground clove
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

Maple syrup for glazing prior to going on the smoker...

I smoked this at 180-190 degrees for about four hours. I mentioned in the video that my target internal temperature was 150°F. You can smoke this for any amount of time that you like. The internal temperature is not critical since the meat is cured. Lots of folks cold smoke their bacon. You just don't want to leave it on long enough where the fat starts to render out....

Enjoy!

I was always afraid to try making homemade bacon, but your video and post gave me some confidence. I'll try this recipe next weekend and post my results with pics here.

Return to Look at what I cooked