Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
March 27th, 2016, 10:33 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello All-

I am wondering whether I have some sort of issue with the temperature controller on my YS640. Following are observations that I made on my last two cooks:

1. I set the temperature to 400 and the YS640 started, heated up and came to temperature normally. After about 30 minutes, I decided to increase the set point to 500, but the controller never went into heat up mode. The display continued to show the horizontal dashes.

2. The following day, I started the YS640 and set the temperature to 500. The cooker heated up normally and held the set point. I then had the grill open for some time and the temperature dropped to about 418. After closing the grill, the controller remained in maintenance mode and never went into heat up mode. The temperature was stable at around 418 for about 10 minutes. I held the prime button for 60 seconds and the temperature eventually increased to about 435, where it was stable. The controller remained in maintenance mode, and the set point of 500 was never reached during the remaining 30 minutes of cook time.

My understanding is that the controller is supposed to go into heat up mode if the temperature drops to 35 degrees less than the set point. That does not seem to be happening, although I realize that opening the door results in erratic temperatures for a while. Any suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

Bob

March 27th, 2016, 11:38 am
Site AdminSite Admin

From the manual (download/Manuals/Pellet%20Manuals/YS%20640%20Manual%208.3.pdf) on page 11:

The controller is adjustable from 150 to 600° F in five degree increments. The controller
displays the actual pit temperature when the set point is from 150 to 495° F. When the
controller is set over 500° F, the controller will display the set point.

Page 22:

If the grate temperature range is exceeded during the “heat up” mode, dashing lines
will appear from upper left to lower right indicating “cool down” mode. Once the target
temperature range is attained, the lines will flash horizontal indicating “maintenance
mode”. The controller will display grate temperatures when the set point is between
150 and 495° F When the set point is between 500 and 600° F, the display will show
the set point and not the actual grate temperature.

In conjunction with the display, the controller will not "manage" the temperature, i.e., go into heat up mode, if the temperature is set to 500 degrees and above. At 500 degrees and over, once the controller goes into maintenance mode, it will not change modes, as the controller is feeding pellets at the 500 (or over) degree rate, and will not change.

If you want the controller to "actively" manage the temperature, set it for 495 degrees or below.

Yoder_Herb
March 27th, 2016, 11:50 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi Herb-

Thanks for the rapid and informative reply! I am still learning.

Regards,

Bob

Return to Pellet