Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
March 23rd, 2016, 8:29 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I was wanting to sear a prime rib on my 640 for say 30 min at high temp, indirect heat, then crank the temp down and let it slow roast until done. So my question is, if I heat it all the way up to 600 deg with the heat deflector in place (access door also in place), will that damage the deflector? Is the better solution to remove the access door while searing, then put back in place for the slow even cooking? Appreciate the help.

March 23rd, 2016, 8:46 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

I would suggest that you do a reverse sear. Do the smoking process first at a low temperature, then remove and tent the meat in foil, and set the cooker up for direct grilling with the grill grates and the diffuser door removed.

I do this all the time. Remove all of the lower grates and put in the grill grates, but slide them to the chimney side of the cooker. Use the upper grate to do the smoking portion of the cook. After the meat hits about 105 to 110 degrees, remove and loosely tent in foil. Remove the upper shelf, pull out the diffuser door, slide the grill grates to the left, turn up the heat to 495 close the lid. Once the temperature hits 495, start the searing process. You will need to figure the timing of the searing process to finish the meat as you want it, based on the thickness of the cuts.

Yoder_Herb
March 23rd, 2016, 8:53 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

That sounds like an excellent process. I'll try that out Herb. I really like the idea of having the grill grates in just ready to slide over. Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

March 25th, 2017, 7:38 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I wish the door had two "loops" what is the trick to removing the door. I am trying to lift it out and slide it the the chimney side.

March 25th, 2017, 9:21 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Do you mean the door in the 2 piece diffuser? If so, just lift it out by the loop and remove it from the cooker.

Yoder_Herb
March 25th, 2017, 11:03 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yes.. the two piece diffuser. I need to find a good hook to pull it out when it is hot. I try to pull it out and slide it over on the heat diffuser.

March 20th, 2018, 9:18 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Shrek,

Did you find a good hook. Just had that same thought. I do lots of low temp with diffuser in place and then reverse sear. I used to work at a dairy and we used a "hook" to pull stacks of milk in cases. Looking for a miniature version for this task if someone can point me to the best option for pulling the hot diffuser door out.

Alternatively, can the YS 640 be used low with the door open and food on the right side?

March 20th, 2018, 5:20 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

If I reverse sear I remove the diffuser completely before I start. Put the steaks to warm to the far right on a chrome grate, then move to the left for the sear.

March 21st, 2018, 10:16 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

So, you're saying that I need to upgrade my heat management plate to the newer style with the removable lid(?) Dang.... :roll: Guess I need to find my credit card!!

In all honesty, I've reversed seared on many different cookers. The Yoder pellet is the ONLY one that has received the "Wow!" from guests. It's a clean smokey taste! I can't duplicate the beauty of what this thing can do to a reverse sear on anything else I own. It's just a nice wood smoked flavor.

Return to Pellet