Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
March 20th, 2016, 9:55 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Looking for the best solution to the problem in the picture. the smoker is not quite a year old, and I thought it was normal for smoke to be coming out from the front of the lid. but as you see in the picture it caused the front of the lid to rust. I have never ran anything under the lid to cause this. and the smoker is covered when not in use.

suggestions on.

1) best way to repair the rust? as I would like to show off my Yoder to my friends.

2 how can I stop this from reappearing? I need to stop the smoke leakage.

[img]

Yoder%20640.JPG
[/img]

Attachments
Yoder 640.JPG
March 21st, 2016, 8:59 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Smoke leakage? Nomex high temp gasket 5/8" wide. Amazon has it. Put it on the door. PM me if you want to see pics, I can't post other site links here.

Rust? Do you live in a humid climate? Smoke don't make rust, but liquids and moisture dripping can. I live in Vegas and my smoker is almost 3 years old. No rust except a bit on the allens that hold the top cover hinge in place.

You can sand the rust off, and put more high temp paint that Yoder uses.

March 21st, 2016, 10:24 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Here are a couple of links for you about paint: download/Best%20Practice%20and%20how%20to/The%20paint%20that%20is%20used%20on%20Yoder%20cookers%20is%20purposeful.pdf and download/Best%20Practice%20and%20how%20to/Prep%20and%20Paint%20Procedure.pdf

You can buy paint here: http://www.atbbq.com/yoder-smokers-fact ... paint.html make sure to but the correct paint for your cooker.

Lastly, check to see if the bottom corners on your lid are bent in slightly, holding the center part away from the cooker body. If they are, use a towel to protect the paint, and use a crescent adjustable wrench to gently bend the corners straight with the lid bottom edge.

None of the Yoder Smokers cookers are designed to be sealed, so you can expect some escaping smoke. The more you use the cooker, the better it will be, as the metal cures from the heating and cooling.

As a precaution, you may apply some high temperature silicone sealant to the inside back of the lid drip rail, after thoroughly cleaning and degreasing the surfaces.

Yoder_Herb
March 21st, 2016, 7:00 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks Herb,

I too am experiencing a similar situation with my YS640. I am familiar with the painting procedures you reference but I am at a lost as to what could be causing this. I suspect it may come from BBQ sauce or marinade spatter. Any ideas so I can prevent this?

How are others dealing with this.

Thanks all.

March 21st, 2016, 8:03 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

robertn wrote:Thanks Herb,

I too am experiencing a similar situation with my YS640. I am familiar with the painting procedures you reference but I am at a lost as to what could be causing this. I suspect it may come from BBQ sauce or marinade spatter. Any ideas so I can prevent this?

How are others dealing with this.

Thanks all.

A clean bbq is a happy bbq. I've had a 640, now a 1500 and every 2-3 cooks I take everything apart that I can and clean. The inside is easy; just a putty knife and a shop vac. For the outside I use Simple Green to take everything off and follow that with a pan release spray, (Pam, etc) on all the paint. The result is excellent. My almost one year old 1500 that has had about 2000 lbs of pellets run though it looks new. Like in really new.

Hope this helps.

bob

March 21st, 2016, 9:17 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks Bob,

I will follow your lead as it seems simple enough. It has to be easier then sanding and repainting every year.

-Robert

March 22nd, 2016, 9:16 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks for everyone input, I will follow suggestions and let you know how it turns out.

April 28th, 2016, 10:17 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello everyone, I thought I would give you an update on the progress.

Yoder Sand (Copy).JPG
Rust was fairly deep in a couple of spots

Yoderside (Copy).JPG

Yoder Painted (Copy).JPG
painted up

Yoder Jacket (Copy).JPG
all protected now

I would make one suggestion that the cover (not the thermal jacket) should have a vent near the top on the backside to let the moisture out.

April 28th, 2016, 10:20 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Great job on the paint.

Yoder_Herb
May 4th, 2017, 5:46 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

So i got some rust spots on my ys640 also and i am goin to sand them down and repaint. I was wondering on the areas in not touching up i should cover them from overspray correct? Any suggestions on methods on sanding down and repainting areas would be great. Thank u.

May 4th, 2017, 5:54 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Im having almost the same problem areas as this guy. By the ur work looks great. Did you tape off the rest of the smoker when you painted? On the front area in the picture did you scuff the whole front area with sandpaper or just where the problem areas where? Any help would be great as i am tryn to redo my ys640 at the momen.

SaskRiverRat wrote:Looking for the best solution to the problem in the picture. the smoker is not quite a year old, and I thought it was normal for smoke to be coming out from the front of the lid. but as you see in the picture it caused the front of the lid to rust. I have never ran anything under the lid to cause this. and the smoker is covered when not in use.

suggestions on.

1) best way to repair the rust? as I would like to show off my Yoder to my friends.

2 how can I stop this from reappearing? I need to stop the smoke leakage.

[img]
Yoder%20640.JPG
[/img]

May 4th, 2017, 6:45 pm
May 5th, 2017, 10:11 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thank you for the respose. I do get ur suppost to clean and sand down the bad areas but are u soposed to cover up the areas that r ok? Or do you not have worry about the over spray to the rest of the smoker?

Yoder_Herb wrote:http://community.yodersmokers.com/download/Best%20Practice%20and%20how%20to/Prep%20and%20Paint%20Procedure.pdf

May 5th, 2017, 12:41 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

I concentrate on the area of concern when I spray the paint. If the area is prepped correctly, spraying the entire area will provide the best end result.

If you are asking if I tape around just the spot that I am spraying, the answer is no, as you need to blend in the paint with the surrounding area, but I do drape off any other areas of the cooker that I do not want to get over spray on, i.e., comp cart, controller display, screws, hinges, etc.

Yoder_Herb
June 23rd, 2017, 7:38 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Herb, is there a different brand of paint one could use to match the factory Yoder paint? Reason I am asking is I am having trouble locating the recommended paint in Canada.

June 23rd, 2017, 8:26 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

greasemonkey wrote:Herb, is there a different brand of paint one could use to match the factory Yoder paint? Reason I am asking is I am having trouble locating the recommended paint in Canada.

In Canada, for paint,please contact:

Ian Baranesky
the Smoker Broker
(306)880-5427

Yoder_Herb
May 19th, 2019, 5:54 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

So what paint is used to spray - the flat black heat resistant paint....

May 19th, 2019, 10:41 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Depends on the serial number of the cooker: https://www.atbbq.com/accessories/grill ... paint.html

Yoder_Herb

Return to Pellet