Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
January 19th, 2016, 9:08 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello there, I am having trouble getting my YS640 to start properly. The firmware number is U26. It is about -20 C here today and I started it up like I usually do, H3 in this weather, and I heard pellets starting to drop so I closed the cover and walked away. I seen smoke starting to come out the chimney after about 10 min or so and I came back after about 25 min, temp was increasing and at about 150. Came back in another 10 min and it was heating showing 350 but there was no fire. I turned it off, unplugged it, removed the grates and there was no fire in the pot, just some burnt pellets. I cleaned it up put a handful of pellets in and tried it again. I got a flame going came back 20 min later no fire and fire pot was 1/2-3/4 full of unburned pellets. The same thing was happening around Christmas time but I finally got it to work properly, after numerous trys. Today I tried 5 different times and it kept going out. I also tried H1, H2, H3 and there was no difference in the starting times, or it staying lit. I could always hear pellets start to drop, but it sounded like it always took a while for them to start dropping. Im using bbq delight sugar maple pellets, and the previous time was hickory. Any suggestions on anything it could be?

January 19th, 2016, 10:35 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

What mode is the controller displaying, heat up, cool down or maintenance?

Yoder_Herb
January 19th, 2016, 10:42 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

It was showing heat up.

January 19th, 2016, 10:46 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Where are you storing your pellets?

I would remove all the pellets, and put in fresh, known good pellets and try again.

Yoder_Herb
January 19th, 2016, 10:53 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

They are being stored in the bags they came In, in a big wooden crate in my shed. I've always also have left the pellets in the hopper between cooks. I used the same practice last winter with no problems at all. I will try another bag and see if there is a difference.

January 21st, 2016, 12:11 am
Site AdminSite Admin

In reviewing your communications with us, it appears that you have resolved your issues, and have found that the pellets that you were using were the problem. Once you switched to known good pellets, your cooker worked as it should and as expected.

Just wanted to post the results for other that may be wanting to know the outcome and for those in the future that search the forum for answers.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Pellet