Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
January 19th, 2016, 7:44 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Hello,

SInce it was in the single digits at my last cook, I was in a hurry and accidentally left my upper grill rack outside on the deck. Is there any special techniques someone has to clean it and remove the rust that is now on it?

--Chris

January 19th, 2016, 8:25 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Like any rusty metal, it will need to be wire brushed and cleaned appropriately. I have seen some Internet videos where a popular soft drink was used to remove rust, but I have never tried to duplicate. The best solution to this is to make sure that the rack is properly seasoned at all times.

Yoder_Herb
January 22nd, 2016, 7:45 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Take a wire brush to it with hot soapy water and scrub pads. Put in the smoker at max temp or the oven at 500f to dry for an hour or so. Take it out and clean again. Cleaning twice isn't really needed if it wasn't all gunked, it's more to get the spots you didn't get really good the first time, you'll see them the second time around. Back to the heat at 500 for an hour to fully dry. Take out and oil well with a high temp cooking oil, back to the heat for a while, oil again, heat, done.

I leave mine in the cooker or on a enclosed shelf when not in use. It's nicely grease dripped covered now, so it won't ever rust.

It's not cast Iron, so it will clean up just fine, just need some elbow grease.

January 22nd, 2016, 8:01 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I will give that a try!

February 9th, 2016, 11:34 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Sure its cleaned by now.... Try soaking in vinegar and water for couple days

Return to Pellet