Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
December 23rd, 2015, 6:19 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hey guys,

Recently made the switch from an offset stick burner to the YS1500 pellet smoker. For some reason, when I smoke my briskets I am getting a metallic taste in the meat. No issues with chicken, pork ribs or beef ribs. I was worried it was just bad quality brisket so I order a brisket from Snake River Farms..... Same outcome.

I have been smoking brisket for years and never had this issue on the offset... Any idea what I may be missing here?

Thanks,
Matt

December 23rd, 2015, 9:09 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

What are you using for prep, i.e., rubs, injection, etc., that is different from everything else you use?

I doubt that it is anything to do with the cooker or it's functioning.

Yoder_Herb
December 23rd, 2015, 10:53 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I'm using the same rub as usual - real basic process of seasoned salt, black pepper and kosher salt. spritzing after 7-8 hours with an apple juice . cider vinegar combination. I'm really stumped as to where the flavor is coming from.

December 24th, 2015, 12:50 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Brand of pellets? Did you season the smoker first? Apple juice and cider vinegar on a brisket? Different.

December 24th, 2015, 12:17 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

If you are using Hickory or even mesquite pellets you might want to try something a little sweeter. I too notice a little stronger flavor profiles when I use those two.

December 25th, 2015, 1:12 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yea I fired up the smoker 3 times before cooking on it, 4-5 hours each time. I guess it's a texas thing, John Lewis swears by spritzing with simple syrup and Franklin swears by apple cider vinegar mixed with apple juice. I'm using the BBQr's Delight pellets. Made a blend with 40lbs oak with 20lbs mesquite.

I'm noticing also there seems to be a big build up of wood dust mainly on the left side, it looks like someone threw a handful of sawdust all over the inside of the chamber... is that common with Pellet smokers?

December 25th, 2015, 3:00 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Yes, that is the ash, it's different that a stick smoker. There is a bit of dust in the pellets and it gets blown out right away due to the forced air feed. Most of what you see is ash though.

The Mesquite might be overpowering the oak.

Return to Pellet