Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
December 17th, 2015, 10:41 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi everyone.

I am considering a Yoder YS and have some questions I am hoping others can answer.

RUST
I started out looking for a stainless steel grill since I live in FL which is a very humid, warm, muggy environment. I don't want a product that will start weeping rust and leaving stains on my concrete! What experience have other owners in FL, WA, etc. had with regards to rust? How much maintenance is required? How often do you have to repaint or touch up the paint? Does the hardware rust? If you were to do it again would you purchase the Yoder?

From what I understand they don't weld all seams with a continuous weld bead. Instead the end caps are formed, then "pressed" onto the center wrapper and skip welded. then black silicone used to "seal" the joint and improve aesthetics. From my experience lap joints that are not 100% continuous welded will "weep" rust eventually!

I also don't think the hardware (bolts, rivets, etc.) are SS. They are zinc plated which should last years but will eventually rust.

PELLET HOPPER CLEAN-OUT
I have not owned a smoker or pellet grill so I don't know how often different flavors are desired. If I want to change pellets is there a clean-out door or easy way to "drain" the pellets from the hopper?

CLEANING
I have noticed Yoder recommends vacuuming the ash out which sounds like a hassle to get the vacuum out and all that. Is there an ash tray or way to clean out ash w/o the use of a vacuum?

GRILLING GRATES
I want a unit that will enable me to grill steaks, hamburgers, etc. also. I know they offer the alum. grilling grates and they claim temps of 600 deg + for searing. Is this realistic? How long does it have to run before you can throw and steak on and get a good sear on it?

SS HARDWARE
Is there any SS hardware? Hinges?

TEMP CONTROL RELIABILITY
My grill will be stored outside with cover over it but the environment is still very wet and humid. How well do the electronic controls and other parts hold up? How often does the starter element have to be replaced?

INSULATION
Are the YS insulated in anyway like the ceramic egg cookers are?

Any advice anyone can provide is welcome.

MERRY CHRISTMAS and Thanks in advance.

December 18th, 2015, 1:27 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I have the 640 w/comp cart and live in Washington state. I have had my pit for about 18 months and to this date have never painted. I do however have the pit under cover from the elements and still put an extra cover on it. Also have never had any leakage from rust. Our weather is different from yours but I find by keeping under cover it keeps things in pretty good shape.

Can't speak much about the welds and seems other than to say I am very happy!

There is no clean out on the 640 but one does get better about planning ahead and even thinking ahead to the next cook. By now I kinda have a good feel for how much I use for each type of cook and do plan as best as possible to not over fill just in case I am removing a flavor of pellets to trade out.

Buying a small shop vac (the $30 variety) makes the vacuming easy. A small hand held props up nicely on the ss comp cart shelf and vacumes out in just a about 1 minute. As long as you keep the vac designated for the pit only you only need to change the bag once every six months or so depending on use.

I have tested my pit to the max and find that even for pizza I usually do not go above 500 even though it does go higher (and yes I have tried full tilt). For steaks I do about 480...let it warm up to 480 and start searing. Three minutes per side first and then a few minutes (off to the side away from direct flame)to get the inside up to temp. So depending on weather it usually takes about 10-15 minutes to get to the pit to desired temp.

There is no insulation just 1/4" steel but you can buy a blanket it you are concerned about little ones touching outside of the pit. Other than a few screws very little ss hardware. Electronics should be same as any other in your area.

Lastly, I very well might be moving to Florida in the next year or so. My biggest concern with my pit is...should I sell it here and buy a new one for Florida or should I take this one with me. IT IS HANDS DOWN THE BEST PIT I HAVE EVER OWNED. I highly recommend it and will say it has turned me from a back yard bbq'er to a full fledged smoker snob. It has taken most of the guess work out of cooking and makes me smile on a daily basis. Your only regret will be waiting too long to buy.

August 5th, 2016, 11:10 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Sorry, not trying to give out misinformation as I am just an end user. Not sure where I got that from...maybe I was thinking of my mailbox, as that was one of the selling points (Fort Knox mail box). Honestly I had never measured but as they say, I stand corrected.

August 5th, 2016, 3:39 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I think Herb would probably have the best info on that. From what I remember, a few years ago there was a lot of upheaval over the ease of use vs those that stayed up all night to do some of their cooks. I have watched more than one competition where pellet cookers have won and plenty that have entered and not placed but rules change and sanctioned or not the old fashioned smokers will complain especially if they think there is some kind of unfair advantage that they are not willing to use.

Never did a comp myself so if someone was to think I was cheating it would be easy...I would just cut them off! No meat for you!!

August 5th, 2016, 5:37 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

I am not aware of any national or international BBQ organizations that have outlawed pellet cookers. I have also not heard of any of the larger state/regional BBQ organizations that have outlawed pellet cookers either. This could be a local area issue, but I do not have any specific information to comment.

Yoder_Herb
August 8th, 2016, 12:33 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Back to your question about rust. . .

I almost bought a used 640 from a guy who lived near the Coastal salt air. Lots of rust in less than two years even though he took good care of it, kept it covered, etc. That amount of rust on the body and shelves scared me away from his pit.

I live in inland Florida and have been advised that wouldn't be as much of a problem here, although the humidity here is incredible, especially this time of year. No salt air here.

Sure hope that's the case!

Return to Pellet