Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
December 7th, 2015, 2:28 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello All:

I love making jerky. Been doing it in my dehydrator at 150 degrees. Now I have my 640 and can't wait to get some smoke on the pieces. If anyone can steer me on whether I should just cook in the yoder, vs. finish in the dehydrator, I'd appreciate the advice. I was thinking set the yoder to 150 for some time, then finish. But it seems folks just cook the jerky in the yoder from some of the posts.

I plan to keep the jerky refrigerated for 1-2 weeks, at least that's how long a few pounds lasts in my house. I might even freeze some if necessary. So I am not making jerky to preserve the meat long term. This is sliced muscle meat jerky, not ground. I marinate in something usually with Worchestire or soy (or bourbon or all). Not sure whether that is a cure or not, but I don't use curing salts on my sliced jerky.

Thank you.

December 7th, 2015, 3:14 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

When I make jerky it's always sliced muscle pieces. I cook them on my Yoder as low as it will go and take it off a little before the texture is where I want it. After it cools the texture is right. I usualy will turn the temp up to 225 at the end for about an hour to render out any fat. I don't have a dehydrator so that's not an option for me. You might like the texture you get from using the dehydrator better, but I'm happy with my jerkey cooked entirely on a Yoder. BTW, I do use Tenderquick to cure mine.

December 7th, 2015, 5:28 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

I do use a cure mix (home made or bought) on mine. I smoke mine for 2-4 hours with a tube pellet smoker at about 100f then finish inside on the dehydrator.

Kirby has it correct for the Yoder, keep temps as low as you can go, and think about getting a tube smoker with pellet dust or pellets for more smoke.

December 8th, 2015, 1:20 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Awesome guys. Got the tube, will try that too. Appreciate the advice.

Return to Pellet