Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
November 2nd, 2015, 1:08 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello:

I am new to smoking and want to get started. I've pretty much decided on the 640 should I pull the trigger. I have a question regarding the "quality" of smoke in the 640 (really pellet smokers generally).

Assuming I use a good quality pellet. How clean is the smoke? I read franklin's barbecue book and the way I understand it, there's sooty dirty smoke and nice clean blue smoke. While I recognize barbecue isn't health food, I'd like to minimize the amount of carcinogens landing on my food - less dirty smoke.

Is there a blast of sooty smoke each time pellets drop into the heat box? I've never seen one cook before. So thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks

November 2nd, 2015, 1:53 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

All the Yoder pellet cookers are designed to provide only clean light blue smoke. It is virtually impossible to get any of the Yoder pellet cookers to put out anything but the most desired light blue smoke.

Yoder_Herb
November 2nd, 2015, 6:41 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

Other brands of pellet smokers will sometimes run on a timer and their way of smoking food is to run a dirty fire for a short while then run the fire hot to bring the temp back up, then dirty again and the cycle goes on and on. Yoder's will always run a clean fire of thin blue smoke, so you don't have to worry about a bad smoke issue with a Yoder.

November 2nd, 2015, 8:14 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks to both replies. It was that particular cycle mentioned in the second post I was concerned about. I am really happy to hear both answers.

Return to Pellet