Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
October 14th, 2015, 11:08 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have decided I'm going to take the dive into getting a pellet smoker/grill. There is a lot of info out there and my mind has been spinning as I have been considering all the brands and options. I was originally just gonna get a Traeger from Costco but with my research that idea has quickly snowballed. I think I have settled in on the YS640 but as I work my way thru the accessories list that I think I need/want the price keeps climbing and its honestly making me a little shy about pulling the trigger.

My question for the forum:
What accessories/options do you feel are must haves? Which ones really aren't necessary?

What I'm thinking:
2nd Shelf, Grill Grates, Probe Port, Dual Thermometers, Cover

Unfortunately with taxes and shipping this will be approaching $2000. Also, debating the need for the Insulating Jacket as I live in MN and winter can be pretty cold, although I was think I could maybe just throw a old wool blanket over it instead. To be honest, it was a stretch getting my wife to agree to an approximate budget of $1500 for a grill/smoker after I convinced her of the shortfalls of the Traegers. I don't know if trying to stretch a few more bucks out of the budget is a battle I want to take on, but I also don't want to be a year down the road wish I had an accessory/option that I didn't order just to avoid the cost.

Our situation - Mostly will just be cooking for my wife and I though I like to make big meals once/twice a week and live on leftovers. The grill will be outside on the backyard patio so I think the cover is a must have.

Thanks ahead of time.

MNBeta03

October 14th, 2015, 12:53 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

Second shelf...yes.
GrillGrates...yes.
Probe port...if you are going to use a wireless thermometer, yes. Do not run probe wires under the door.
Dual therms...I'd skip this one personally unless you just want the look.
Cover...if kept outside I prefer to use one, but that's your decision.
Insulated jacket...the cooker will work well without it, but it will use more pellets in cold and windy conditions. I'd say since that's easy to add on at anytime, see what you think without and get it if you feel the need later when the lump of cash won't be as much as the initial cost. I think you would benefit from it, but you won't have bad experiences if you don't use it other than extra pellet use. And if you use a blanket, make sure there is nothing that could melt on the cooker due to heat. I thought I had a good blanket to use with an old stickburner I had...after an hour I was scraping melted fabric off of the cooker. :roll: The insulated jacket fits very tightly and keeps the handle exposed so it won't get too hot to touch, so it's better to use than a blanket.

October 14th, 2015, 9:05 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I'm going to second most of what Yoder_Kirby said:
Definitely YES on the Second Shelf and Grill Grates. YES on the probe port because I would also say YES to getting a wireless thermometer. Makes it super easy to monitor your cook while doing a project inside or just watching the game. Dual thermometers, probably not. I got a single thermometer specifically because I wanted the look. I find it interesting to compare the cooker's indicated temp to the door and wireless thermometers, but mostly because I'm a bit of a nerd. Practically speaking, it just looks cool. I ordered a cover, but have been so protective of my Yoder that it sleeps inside my garage. You say yours would sleep outside, so I would recommend a definite YES on the cover. Insulated Jacket: sorry, I live in southern AL, so I skipped that one. Nothing to offer there.

With regards to the purchase price, I think the extra bucks for the Yoder is worth it. In my work office of 14 people, 7 of us have pellet cookers. Multiple Traegers & Rec Tecs, a MAK grill and a Green Egg. I've seen them all in operation at BBQs and hanging out. Without hesitation, I would recommend my Yoder over all of the others. If you order from ATBBQ.com, you can get 40 lbs of pellets included for free. Make sure to order a couple extra bags on top of that. You will enjoy cooking on your Yoder so much, you want to stay well stocked on pellets!

October 19th, 2015, 8:44 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

When I bought mine I determined that I would be using it mostly as a smoker and keep my charcoal grill for grilling chores. If you want to reverse sear having that extra grill it is much more convenient. That has worked out great for me. I skipped the grill greats. Second shelf is a must have. Just this weekend I did a 15lb. brisket on the top shelf and 3 racks of ribs on the lower shelf and all turned out perfect. I had two probe ports installed which I do use. I determined that I would not use door thermometers and I do not miss them. In your situation being in a cold climate and if you are going to use it in those low temps, I would suggest the Jacket. For the cover I bought the 42" canvas covers that Sam's sells under the Members Mark name and it fits very well and I think it was under $30. I am sure it is not as nice as the factory unit but it works and saves you a bit of cash for the things that you really want.

Next thing is just pull the trigger. It was the best cooking investment that I have ever made.

October 24th, 2015, 5:59 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I would skip the probe ports as i did and drill one 1/4 inch hole at grill height below smoke stack.In the smoker body. Two probes will fit thru the hole. Skip door thermos not of any use. Grill grates yes,cover yes! Second shelf if u cook a lot of meat/food at once.

Return to Pellet