Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
August 18th, 2015, 9:42 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello,
My 78 yr old dad currently has a propane cabinet smoker and loves to use it. He is also shopping for a built in BBQ so I told him about the versatility of the Yoder YS640. After reviewing the specs and watching several videos, my dad is very interested in purchasing a Yoder. The only hangup is he wants a rotisserie. Has anyone ever modified a Yoder to accommodate a rotisserie?

Thanks in advance,

Dashley

August 20th, 2015, 10:26 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Nothing against adding a rotisserie mod, but with the Yoders you really aren't going to need one! Rotisseries make some sense with large cookers in a commercial setting where you need to get a massive amount of meat in a small footprint, but in terms of cooking and smoke/heat distribution they wouldn't make much difference here. Still, seems like with just a few simple holes drilled into the side metal it would be pretty easy to add one. Purchasing a ready to go unit would be the place to start:

Do an Internet search on these words "KitchenAid Rotisserie Grilling Kit with Motor"

You would probably need to find a longer metal rod (stainless) that would need to be a larger diameter than the one shown - after all, you've got a pretty wide pit with the 640 and that rod might start sagging!, and add some sort of frame extension to put that motor further away from the cooker.

August 21st, 2015, 6:29 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Scott,

I shared your thoughts with my dad and he is second guessing the need of a rotisserie.
Thank you very much for your input.
Dennis

August 21st, 2015, 6:50 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

I have made perfect boneless rib eye roasts and chickens on a rotisserie on my grill and my Yoder. I really like to Yoder it till it's 120f with a thermapen, then on the gas grill on high for that bit of sear. Chicken on the Yoder? Want to do 6 or 8 at once then cut up and vacupack? Mmmmm. And make chicken stock the gods would love with all the carcasses. I have also just let the Yoder do it's thing and it's awesome.

Since a rotiss has high heat in one spot you need to rotate it. The Yoder does rib eye roasts and chickens perfect every time no need to rotate. Light smoke flavor which makes the perfect Au Jus sauce...

August 22nd, 2015, 2:12 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Conumdrum.

Thank you for your input. My dad is not sure if a rotisserie is needed.
Thank you again.
Dennis

Return to Pellet