Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
August 9th, 2015, 1:36 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi all,
I set my 1500 at 235F, my digital thermometer say me ther is 220F on the upper/center grate, I use the Lumberjack pecan pellets and I have some ribs in.
The smoke out from the chimney is not costant , I can see very long time without a smoke.
I make somethings wrong ?
Fausto

Sorry for my bad English :roll:

YS1500 Orange Comp Cart
August 9th, 2015, 9:41 am
* Durnago ** Durnago *

The smoke coming from your stack will be thin and wispy, not thick and white. From time to time the smoke will get a little thicker and that is normal, but overall the smoke will be very thin. That is the sign of a properly managed fire. The air will still smell good and the food will still taste smokey.

August 9th, 2015, 11:26 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Understand, but I'm not very happy with the taste of my food,
I coock 3 slab of ribs for 3 hours after this I put in the foil with some brown sugar and apple juice for 2 hours and finish with one hour out of the foil .
The ribs do not have a smoke taste, good smoke ring but I can't fieel any smoke taste.
Also they are very moist .
I'm not happy with the result :-(
I think I make some errors but I don't know what is the error :-(
I put in also some sausage but no smoke taste.
Before of the 1500 I use the big green egg wih a GOOD ,very good result on the ribs.
Some advices ?
Fausto

YS1500 Orange Comp Cart
August 9th, 2015, 12:31 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Are you the only one eating what you cook that thinks that there isn't enough smoke on what you cook?

Here is why I ask: you are the one that is next to the cooker, you are the one opening the lid, and you are the one that is becoming desensitized to the smoke flavor because you are smelling it through out the entire cook, and your skin, hair and clothing is also absorbing the smoke. You are desensitized to the point that you think that there isn't any smoke flavor at all.

Try this: Get in the habit of cooking on a timeframe where your meats can rest before you cut and et them. While the meat is resting, go take a shower and change your clothes. I guarantee that you will have a completely different eating experience.

BTW - there is nothing wrong with your cooker. If you see more than a transparent light blue smoke, your cooker isn't working the way it should. Any smoke that is not transparent, contains unburned wood solids, which create a bitter creosote taste. Some who have always cooked with an ill managed fire, and always have this whitish, heavy smoke, will think that there isn't enough smoke flavor. It is impossible to get this type of smoke on a Yoder pellet cooker. People that smoke tobacco also have a decreased taste for properly smoked meat, and sometimes say that there isn't enough smoke flavor from a pellet cooker.

If you want to add a heaver, verging on bitter, smoke taste, you can add a auxiliary smoke generator in the cooker when cooking, but, this will cause a black creosote build up on the inside of your cooker, and can cause your meat to taste over smoked. The over smoked taste is because of the unburned wood solids being deposited and built up on the surface of your meat.

Yoder_Herb
August 9th, 2015, 2:53 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

Herb nailed it. A lot of times smoking on a ceramic kamado cooker, such as your Green Egg, doesn't allow complete combustion of the wood. And even if it does, the airflow in that type of a cooker is so small that the smoke inside of the cooker can stagnate and get bitter. This is perceived by many to be a good smoke flavor. Yes, it is stronger, but it is not the ideal smoke flavor we are looking for. Many people complain about a lack of smoke flavor with pellet cookers, this is usually due to fire management issues or with a previous cooker and what the expectation of smoke favor should be. After you eat food off of a pellet cooker for a while and get used to what a clean burning fire puts out for smoke flavor, you can't go back to eating food that is not smoked with a clean fire...at least I can't.

The tips about taking a shower and changing clothes does help. Also, when you have leftovers and re-heat the food, it will likely have a stronger smoke flavor to it. That is because you have been removed from the smokey environment of the cooker for long enough that you can detect it again. And yes, anything that can desensitize your taste, such as tobacco smoke, will not allow you to taste the level of the smoke you get from a pellet cooker.

Lumberjack pellets put of the strongest smoke flavor of any pellet I've ever used. However their pecan pellets are a little on the lighter side of their brand. MHC, Cherry, Mesquite or Hickory will be their strongest.

August 12th, 2015, 1:23 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

guys,
thanks for advices !
I will try for sure.
Fausto

YS1500 Orange Comp Cart
August 16th, 2015, 11:03 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Try again today with some ribs,cicken and sausage....... FANTASTIC !!!
Thank you.
Fausto

YS1500 Orange Comp Cart
August 16th, 2015, 4:06 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Really nice cook there fadax :):), looks beautiful :)

August 19th, 2015, 12:36 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Very good advice, Herb. It took me a couple of seasons to figure that out. The true test is eating leftovers the next day after things have aired out, shower, etc. You'll definitely pick up the smoke flavor.

Return to Pellet