Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
August 19th, 2014, 1:08 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

After a smoke....what do you do to clean the chrome grates? What about the steel upper shelf?

I usually use a stiff bristle brush and scrub them...after about 5 smokes I had hoped they would be more seasoned but it seems like the scrubbing takes it down to the metal.

Thanks for you input.

August 19th, 2014, 8:39 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

I've had my YS640 for a year now and the chrome grates will always stay that way and won't season the way the upper shelf will. I just use a wire brush on both and call it good. I the top rack isn't seasoning the way you think it should cook a couple of Butts on it and it will take care of its self. Good luck, Happy Smoke :D

Mike
2 - YS640 Silver Competition Carts
August 19th, 2014, 9:12 am
* Durnago ** Durnago *

What I did to really season in the top shelf of my YS640 was to oil it, and then set it on top of the bottom grates (therefore closer to the fire/heat) and do a high temp cook on it. That set the oil nicely for me.

August 28th, 2014, 6:24 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I actually do a thorough clean on the chrome grates, usually a quick soapy soak and hit it with a green scrubber pad, after each smoke. I am not a subscriber to the philosophy that old grease adds flavor. Once seasoned, the top rack only gets a dousing under hot water and scrub with a stiff brush, no soap on that one.

It takes a bit of time, but I think it is worth it, so does everyone who eats the results! :D

YS640 - Done in one.

Return to Pellet