Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
July 21st, 2015, 2:45 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hopefully yall can help the new guy out. I recently became a new proud owner of a new YS640. I am new to the pellet world and have learned the cooking method is definitely different than my last stick burner.

I've attempted two briskest so far and have been disappointed in the bark. Im beginning to think this is a con with a pellet smoker. I'm ok if this is the case because there are so many pros with the Yoder.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has a good technique they'd like to share. Also, I'd love to hear how yall smoke your briskets from start to finish. Just trying to figure out what is best for the pellet smoker.

Thanks guys!

July 21st, 2015, 3:44 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

It would be helpful for you to post up your process, to see what you are doing. There are as many ways of prep and cooking as there are stars in the sky, and there are no wrong methods, just personally preferred ones.

Also, your assessment of what "good" and "disappointing" bark is. This will help us to point you in the right direction to achieve what you are wanting for the final product.

Yoder_Herb
July 21st, 2015, 7:19 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

As Herb said, are you looking for a crunchy bark? Or what specifically are you wanting? I've been able to achieve all sorts of different barks on my Yoder pellet cookers, so your method may just need adjusting to the new cooker. And anytime you change cookers, methods usually need some tweaking.

What stickpit where you using before?

July 21st, 2015, 8:43 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I am trying to achieve a dark(almost black) not too thick, not too thin bark. I like it to have kind of crisp. What I'm getting now is not really dark or crisp. I attached a picture of what I'm trying to achieve.

I apply mustard, spices and rub to the brisket. Put it on the smoker at 225 until temp reaches 150. Take it off and wrap it. I pull the brisket off at 190 and then let it rest for a little while. Going forward, I'll take it no lower than 195.

My stick burner I used in the past what made by Gator Pit.

July 21st, 2015, 8:47 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Bark picture

Attachments
image.jpg
Brisket
July 21st, 2015, 8:50 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Here is a better picture of what I'm going for with the bark.

Attachments
image.jpg
Bark
July 21st, 2015, 8:55 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

OK, there are 2 criteria for good bark when wrapping in foil, and neither has anything to do with the internal temperature or time.

The first thing you look for is the color that you desire. The second is if the bark is "set" or not. So, when you think that your color is what you want, use a clean fingernail to gently scratch the surface of the meat. If you can scratch off the rub and bark, it is not time to wrap yet. Only after you are unable to scratch off the rub and bark, is it time to wrap. So in essence, you are getting the right color, and making sure that the bark is "set" before you wrap. If you wrap when the bark is not set, you will steam the rub and bark off in the foil.

Yoder_Herb
July 22nd, 2015, 12:19 am
* Durnago ** Durnago *

One thing I do if I want a crunchier back is to cook it fully to tender unwrapped. Then once it's done, wrap in butcher paper and bring the cooker down to 175* to hold and rest the brisket on the top rack. I have had good, crispy bark and tender brisket with this, but not a hard and chewy bark. Give it a shot and see if it works for you.

July 22nd, 2015, 11:05 am
Site AdminSite Admin

If I do wrap, it is always with butcher paper as well. Not only for brisket, but with pork butts as well. I am also a reformed rib wrapper.

Yoder_Herb
July 22nd, 2015, 12:54 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have been reading so much about the butcher paper lately. It looks like I'll have to try it next time.

As far as the bark goes. Let's say it takes 8 hours unwrapped to get the bark I like. Im just making up a temp but let's say it's 175 when I finally wrap it. Will it be tender enough when it reaches 195ish with it not being wrapped as long as usual?

July 22nd, 2015, 12:56 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Do you also recommend smoking unwrapped on a higher temp to get the crisper bark?

July 22nd, 2015, 1:23 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Brisket, pork butt and ribs are done when the meat shows you that it is done. There isn't any one temperature that I can give you that any particular piece of meat will be the perfect doneness or tenderness. You have to "feel" or "probe" the meat for doneness/tenderness. Time is not a factor in cooking these meats, but can be manipulated with temperature. You can have 2 of the exact cuts of meat, from the same animal, and they will cook differently and achieve your desired tenderness at differing times and temperatures.

What I can give you is a target internal temperature where you can start to probe the meat to check for doneness/tenderness. This is approximately 190 to 195 degrees for brisket and pork butt, and 185 degrees for ribs. These temperatures are not when you should consider the meat finished cooking, but rather the temperature that you should start probing/checking for your required tenderness.

Wrapping is done for 2 reasons; to protect the meat from taking on any more smoke, and to speed up the stall and ultimately the cook time.

I have yet to need to wrap anything cooking on a pellet cooker to protect it from over smoking (bitter creosote taste), like you would need to do in a stick burner.

The stall doesn't bother me, as I take the extra time in cooking to allow for the stall and a resting time after the meat comes off the cooker. I do wrap brisket and pork butts in butcher paper at times, which preserves the bark, and may help with shortening cook times, but nothing like foil does because of the braising effect it creates. I never wrap ribs, and depending on the look of the brisket/pork butt, I may not wrap them either.

Please understand that none of these statements relate to competition cooking. This is cooking at home to eat.

You will have to do your own testing for the differences that a higher cooking temperature makes, to see what you like and how the end results compare. There are far too may personal preferences in cooking for anyone to point a finger and say that "this is the only way to do this".

Yoder_Herb
July 22nd, 2015, 2:25 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

To piggyback on Herb's post, tenderness will be achieved whether you wrap or not. Tenderness is the only way to determine doneness. Foil will speed things up but soften the bark as well.

As far as cook temp, that shouldn't matter much. On the YS640 without wrapping meat before it's done, I prefer to cook at 225* so there is less radiant heat coming off of the plate below. If you want to cook hotter, say 275*, I'd place the meat on the top rack if you are only cooking one or two.

July 22nd, 2015, 3:44 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thank you very much for your time and information. I learned a lot and always thought foil was to help make it tender.

Time to get back on the bull and give it another go.

July 22nd, 2015, 7:01 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hey man, quick question about wrapping a brisket. If I wrap it to push through the stall, do I need to keep it wrapped until I reach 195*-200*... desired temp? Or can I unwrap once the stall is complete to help keep the bark?

July 22nd, 2015, 8:44 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

You are free to do as you would like. There are no rules that state if you wrap you must keep it wrapped.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Pellet