Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
July 7th, 2015, 2:59 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

After using my YS1500 for several months now, I have two suggestions for improvement.

The first is, when using both shelves to cook, it is necessary to completely remove the meat and the top shelf in order to reposition or wrap the meat on the bottom shelf. If both shelves were slide out shelves, that would be awesome.

The second improvement suggestion would be to the cart. The wheels are a joke IMHO. I have had one replaced because it went flat (don't get me wrong, Yoder did an amazing 2 day turn around on that), but a second now has a small flat spot on it. The smoker is very difficult to turn, even on concrete, and just doesn't feel like it will last. The steering mechanism on your other larger Competition smoker seems much more fitting.

All in all, a great product that cooks like nobody's business. Thank you Yoder!

Craig Brandon
http://www.bbqtex.com

Craig Brandon
Cookin' With Grace Ministries
YS1500, Traeger BBQ124
July 8th, 2015, 4:42 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

CWG Ministries wrote:The first is, when using both shelves to cook, it is necessary to completely remove the meat and the top shelf in order to reposition or wrap the meat on the bottom shelf. If both shelves were slide out shelves, that would be awesome.

That would be awesome. I would change nothing else on my Durango, but this would be the one thing that would consider for modification.

Thinking about trying out the disposable grill grates Yoder_Herb featured in his Salmon was cheap post.
viewtopic.php?p=4035#p4035

I've been using pizza screens with some success, but they are a pain to keep clean.

Durango 24
July 9th, 2015, 2:35 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I just re-read my post and want to apologize for the way this sounded. Nothing, absolutely nothing is a joke about this smoker. I do feel the tires/wheels are inadequate for this smoker however. It is very difficult for me to move on my own, which is usually how I must do it. Thanks -Craig

[quote="CWG Ministries"]After using my YS1500 for several months now, I have two suggestions for improvement.
The wheels are a joke IMHO.

Craig Brandon
Cookin' With Grace Ministries
YS1500, Traeger BBQ124
July 9th, 2015, 9:34 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Just for illustration, to have a cart like the Cimarron has, on the YS1500, would put the price of a YS1500 somewhere north of $6000.

Yoder_Herb
July 10th, 2015, 5:11 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

CWG Ministries wrote:I just re-read my post and want to apologize for the way this sounded. Nothing, absolutely nothing is a joke about this smoker. I do feel the tires/wheels are inadequate for this smoker however. It is very difficult for me to move on my own, which is usually how I must do it. Thanks -Craig

CWG Ministries wrote:After using my YS1500 for several months now, I have two suggestions for improvement.
The wheels are a joke IMHO.

Yea it's a heavy beast. What are the tires inflated to? Could help. You could get solid rubber/plastic wheels that would be great for concrete, but the current wheels are good for all around. Rolling it across grass or light gravel and concrete, I think it's the best of both worlds, can't have it all.

Return to Pellet