Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
June 14th, 2015, 12:10 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

The normal process of starting a Yoder pellet cooker consists of the following REQUIRED steps (removal of grates, etc. are intentionally left out to highlight just the required steps):

1. Clean all the ash and pellets from the burn grate and firebox.
2. Verify the integrity of the silicone seal around the firebox and in the body of the cooker. (full information is in the manuals viewtopic.php?f=49&t=153)
3. Verify the burn grate fits correctly and tightly in the firebox. (full information is in the manuals viewtopic.php?f=49&t=153)
4. Plug the cooker into power. If the cooker is already plugged into power, you MUST unplug the cooker from power for a minimum of 30 seconds, then plug it back into power.
5. Flip the power switch to the ON position. The display will show the currently installed firmware for 2 seconds, the blue power light will illuminate and the fans will start running.
6. Push the START button. The display will show the default 350 set temperature, and the heat up mode will be displayed (dashes going up from lower left to upper right), pellets will start dropping. If desired, the cooking temperature may now be changed from the default 350 degrees.
7. Verify that the fire has started BEFORE walking away. The ignition process should be complete within 5 minutes after pushing start. If you don't see and/or hear fire in the cooker, turn the cooker off, and go back to step one and start over. Do NOT just try to restart the cooker without beginning again at step 1.
8. Walk away from the cooker for at least 30 minutes to allow the cooker to go through the heat up and normalization process. During this time the cooker may overshoot the set temperature, and/or may drop below the set temperature. These are all normal during the first 30 to 45 minutes after pushing the START button.
9. Do NOT put food on the cooker during the first 30 minutes.
10. Do NOT constantly change the set temperature in an attempt to make the cooker work the way you "think" it should. Trust it, leave it alone, it will normalize to the set temperature you have set.

At the 8 minute mark after pushing the START button, push and hold the START button until the current "H" mode is displayed. The following are absolutes, and completely normal, given the displayed "H" mode:

H1 - The cooker will go into maintenance mode before the set temperature.
H2 - The cooker will go into maintenance mode at the set temperature. There can be up to a 75 degree +/- overshoot of the set temperature.
H3 - The cooker will go into maintenance mode at the set temperature. There can be up to a 150 degree +/- overshoot of the set temperature.

Please remember, you are cooking with a wood fire, so there will be temperature swings. The cooker will not hit your set temperature and just stay there. As pellets are added and burned, the temperature will go above and below your set temperature, sometimes more sometimes less. Why? Grab a handful of pellets, are they all the same length? With each turn of the auger, what falls, all short pellets, all long pellets or an unknown mixture of each? With a wood fire, you must work with the average temperature over time. Want to prove to yourself that the cooker is working, do this test: download/Best%20Practice%20and%20how%20to/Yoder%20Pellet%20Temperature%20Test.pdf

If you want the best possible experience and outcome with your cooker, follow this best practice: download/Best%20Practice%20and%20how%20to/Recommend%20procedure%20for%20starting%20up%20a%20Yoder%20pellet%20cooker.pdf

Yoder_Herb
June 21st, 2015, 7:33 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

PLEASE tell me what I'm doing wrong, I follow all the instructions to start up and set the temperature and it goes way off , either higher or lower by as much as 50 degrees.
I did a temp check with 2 mavericks 732 and 733, I made sure they were accurate by the boiling water test. the first test was for 225, it hit 225 for 10 minutes and then nosedived to 175 to 185 and would not raise the temp.
The second test was set at 250 and it nailed it at 225 +/- 3. So I assumed an offset of 25 degrees would work fine....yeah right
I set the temp today at 350 to get a 325 to smoke 1 chicken...again it nosedived to 270 and shot up to 390.

My procedure is exactly instructed to the 30 min walk away, I then select the temp I want and push the start button, why will it not hold temp??????

June 21st, 2015, 10:01 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

What is the serial number and build date from your cooker's door plate?
\What is the version of firmware? This is displayed for 2 seconds after you flip the power switch to the ON position.
What brand and flavor of pellets are you using?
Is your diffuser plate warped? viewtopic.php?f=36&t=338
Are you cleaning all the ash from the burn grate before each use? viewtopic.php?f=36&t=454
Are you using foil in the cooker?

Yoder_Herb
April 16th, 2017, 12:12 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello,

There is a problem with my YS640 :(

I start up my YS640 and set the temp at 300. I notice the fire burning in the grate and not even 5 seconds of ignition. The temp jumps to 172 and then 230 and 300 and doesn't stop until it gets to 586 degrees and it stays there... can someone please help me? I don't know what's wrong. I have had the YS640 since 2013 and hope to keep it running longer. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Seals are good and pit is clean.

version: v26
Serial model number: 13611
MFG date 05/09/13

Thank you,

Best regards,

Jim Nguyen

April 16th, 2017, 12:14 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Secrets wrote:Hello,

I start up my YS640 and set the temp at 300. I notice the fire burning in the grate and not even 5 seconds of ignition. The temp jumps to 172 and then 230 and 300 and doesn't stop until it gets to 586 degrees and it stays there... can someone please help me? I don't know what's wrong. I have had the YS640 since 2013 and hope to keep it running longer. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

MFG date 05/09/13

Thank you,

Best regards,

Jim Nguyen

Your thermocouple needs to be replaced.

Yoder_Herb
April 16th, 2017, 12:45 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:
Secrets wrote:Hello,

MFG date 05/09/13

Thank you,

Best regards,

Jim Nguyen

Your thermocouple needs to be replaced.

Thank you for the fast reply.

Can you direct me to where to buy the thermocouple? and instructions on replacing it?

Thank you,

Jim Nguyen

April 16th, 2017, 4:37 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I have replaced twice. When they send you a new one it will come with instructions as well as able to view on line. Don't sweat it. Basically you are removing the screws on the left hand side of the hopper as well as the temp read out (approx 10 total). Only a couple of wires to unplug with the old and then plug in the new. RED to RED and if I remember right GREEN to GREEN ( might even be a white to white but I could be thinking of another project).

My thermocouplers reacted similarly...the whole thing takes about 15 minutes.

April 16th, 2017, 7:54 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Since the electronics are out of warranty on your cooker, please order a thermocouple here: http://www.atbbq.com/yoder-smokers-ys-s ... -wall.html

Here are the instructions: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=363

Yoder_Herb
May 1st, 2017, 4:36 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thank you Herb!!! thank you Westhemess1!!!

May 2nd, 2017, 12:32 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

My pleasure Secrets. Always best to defer to the experts (Herb and Kirby), just was thinking of putting your mind at ease!

June 4th, 2017, 4:31 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

My question on this subject, generally, is whether it is advisable to order a thermocouple in advance. I've seen it mentioned a few times on various forums and don't want to get caught in a bad situation.
I mean, it is a question of when, not necessarily if, it will fail?
Thanks for any advice.

June 5th, 2017, 7:50 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I have ignitor and thermocoupler on hand. I don't want to get stuck at 11PM getting ready to start a cook and be screwed. I kept an ignitor on hand when I owned my Weber... these things are maintenance parts... they will wear out.

Also - if you have them on hand and you're prepared chances are you'll never need them... at least that's my luck lol.

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
June 5th, 2017, 9:21 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Preserve the life of the igniter by always cleaning the ash from the burn grate and firebox prior to each cooking session.

Preserve the life of the thermocouple by not coming in contact with the thermocouple or wire when removing or reinstalling the heat diffuser plate and grates, or when cleaning the grates. Also make sure to protect the wire end of the thermocouple from being flooded with liquid.

As an example, my 2012 YS640 and 2013 YS1500 still have the original igniters in them and working great, and they have never had a thermocouple replaced for non functionality.

Yoder_Herb
July 11th, 2022, 1:26 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have a brand new YS 640 (2022) and the temp goes way too high. I tried looking at the H mode but I press the startup button (top of the three selection buttons) then hold it it jumps back to operating. Am I pressing the wrong button? Should I press and hold power instead? Did the access to this function change on the latest version?
Please advise.

July 12th, 2022, 11:21 am
Site AdminSite Admin

YoderJim wrote:I have a brand new YS 640 (2022) and the temp goes way too high. I tried looking at the H mode but I press the startup button (top of the three selection buttons) then hold it it jumps back to operating. Am I pressing the wrong button? Should I press and hold power instead? Did the access to this function change on the latest version?
Please advise.

The new ACS controller no longer uses the H modes. To address your concerns with overshooting the set temp, we can review the device logs and sessions to see what is going on with your cooker. Please send an email to customerservice@yodersmokers.com with your information including the email address you use to login to the fireboard app so we may review your cookers device logs and sessions.

This will give you a personal experience with the staff so we can properly assist you.

July 24th, 2022, 3:59 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks.
I think I discovered my issue. I was leaving the grill grates in all the time and the residual heat was causing a problem. I pulled them out unless I am actively searing and the temmp is a lot more stable. This smoker also cooks alot faster than my old Camp Chef XXL so that is taking some getting used to. I'm learning slowly.

Return to Pellet