Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
June 4th, 2015, 9:28 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Last night decided to cook some fish at the wifes request. First I cleaned the pit. Scraped what little gunk I had around the firepot and bottom. Cleaned the firepot, and changed the foil on the diffuser. Added a handful of pellets to the firepot turned the 640 on and cooked the fish in loose foil at 350.

Luckily, I did not have a lot of pellets in the hopper and was in and out with at least one eye on the pit. Just before the fish was done I noticed fairly heavy acrid smoke coming from the hopper right above the auger. I knew this was not good but wanted to do the wait and see thing. The fish was done so I turned the pit off so it was in the cool down mode with fans running. At that point I lifted the hopper lid and within a few seconds poof...it ignited.

I was easily able to blow and toss the pellets around to get the pellets out but am wondering why it started in the first place. I did not let the pit go through the complete cool down ( I unplugged) out of fear the fans would re-ignite the pellets and lets face it I was hungry. One was it because of loose gunk or was it because the firepot was a little cockeyed. I am a little concerned with starting it up again and had another all night brisket cook that has me rethinking my Saturday dinner.

Any thoughts?

June 4th, 2015, 11:22 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Does the burn grate fit tightly in the firebox? With the burn grate pulled toward the chimney in the firebox, there should be no gap between the hopper wall and the burn grate.

Are the silicone seals around the firebox intact, especially the one above the firebox?

Check the YS640 manual starting on page 31 for the proper maintenance procedures: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=153

Yoder_Herb
June 4th, 2015, 11:57 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Thanks Herb,
After cool down last night I removed the burn grate and cleaned. I probably should have paid better attention when removing but as they say about hindsight. I am hoping it is something simple and do remember half heartedly putting the burn grate back in the firepot so maybe it was just pilot error.

I will make sure and check better today and take another look at the seals as it was kinda dark by time I finished up last night. Anyway, thanks for the response and all the good work. We all appreciate you and Kirby in our time of need.

Westhemess

June 4th, 2015, 12:26 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

For sure check the seal on the hopper wall as Herb prescribed. If it is loose, white (charred) or areas of it missing, that needs to be fixed before you use it again, no exceptions. That can be damaged by a burn grate not fitting properly or seated properly as well. Again, to echo what Herb said, it needs to be seated tight against both walls for optimum temperature distribution and to protect that silicon seal. You may have done everything right and all of the seals may be good, but those are the first things to check.

Thankfully you were there and the hopper wasn't full.

June 4th, 2015, 2:23 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Will do Kirby,
I feel the same. On my overnight cooks I usually start them just before bed. Both fortunately and hopefully never unfortunately my 640 is on the deck right outside my bedroom. It is on the second floor but just a matter of inches away from the house. Hardly slept the first time I did an over nighter but have been getting much more comfortable over the last year or so. Looks like now I might have to work back up the nerve to sleep solid.

Thanks again

June 4th, 2015, 7:26 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Wow! Glad you guys had me check. I removed all grates and the diffuser plate checked my burn grate and looks like its about a good 1/4" from the back wall and that was the good part. I then checked the seals and found grey/white charred marks as well as another gab between the back wall and the top of the fire pot. The seal was broken and I could easily push the remaining sealant back into the gap.

So, looks like a trip to the local hardware store to get sealant and a little re-adjustment of the burn grate are in order tonight.

Thanks again. Sounds like I was two days from a big problem as Friday night was going to be a brisket and Saturday ribs. In other words the pit would have been on for 12-14 hours (half while sleeping) I can probably still pull them off but with a little luck without the headaches that might have gone with.

Note to self...check seals more frequently!!

June 4th, 2015, 7:31 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

One last question. DOES Home Depot usually carry the permatex or do I need to go to a fireplace store?

June 4th, 2015, 8:30 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

I'm glad you found your likely culprit. Hopefully this will get everyone that is reading this to go check theirs. My seal is actually due for a check as well.

I think I get my Permatex at ACE hardware. I usually buy at least three so I know I'll always have some if I need it.

June 4th, 2015, 8:35 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Yep, I'm actually kinda shocked. Something so simple and cheap could have ended in disaster.. I can honestly say It will be one of the things I will check every time I lift the diffuser plate.

June 4th, 2015, 9:41 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

of course i read this as my cooker is running!!!!!

Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 3
Superior Smoker SS1
Stoker Wifi
StokerX

Past (UDS, WSM, LBGE, Big Joe)
https://twitter.com/thepittemp
June 4th, 2015, 10:22 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Fyi, for those that end up wanting or needing the high heat silicone sealant. I went to both Home Depot and Lowes without luck. I will try Ace tomorrow and might even try one of the stove and chimney places if I strike out there.

June 5th, 2015, 12:57 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Yes, Ace was the place!

The Permatex is a little hard to find. I bought the last 2 available in my area but had to drive to the next little town to buy. My thoughts- the Permatex 81878 is also known as the Ultra Copper High Temp RTV silicone Gasket Maker. Even though my malfunction was on a approx. 7" seem in the 640 I would buy at least 2 to have on hand. I used approx. half the tube but once again it was a small little slit. Takes one hour to harden but 24 hours to cure. Having some on hand can get you up and running quick but not immediately.

So, gotta wait a little but should be up and running soon.

Thanks again to the staff and moderators.

Westhemess

June 5th, 2015, 6:52 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

I had a fan issue, they sent be both fans and a tube. All good. Have you checked on line to see if that is easier? I live in a city so getting this stuff is easy.

Besides having a fan rattle that only happened once (still have the fans and sealant ready, and got an igniter as a spare) I haven't had one hiccup EVER with my 640.

They will set you right, random things happen, you check the moon phase and your Horoscope?

June 5th, 2015, 9:31 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I believe you can also buy this Ultra High Temp Copper Permatex sealant at any automotive place such as AutoZone, Napa or O'Reillys . Just sayin

June 6th, 2015, 9:47 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I thought about the automotive places but seeing it was about 7 pm and am not a gear head, I went straight to the large box stores. Of course seeing as though my one tip was for Ace I went there the next morning. I did figure the on line thing was an option, but also getting up and running in the shortest amount of time was priority number one, I would try to find locally.

I do live fairly suburban like many in Washington state. In my world if they don't have it at Costco, Home Depot or Lowes, I consider it hard to get. I don't mind driving but consider it a pain to drive 15 minutes for one $8 item.

For anyone that finds themselves in a similar position. First the panic of seeing a fire in your pit. Then the realization that you cannot finish your cook or cannot start another until you find, get, install and wait to cure....plan ahead.

Bottom line...the brisket had to wait but the ribs and poppers go on in a couple hours.

July 14th, 2015, 8:42 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hey Yoder Herb!

I just bought some Permatex 81878, which is in stock at most auto parts stores but not at the big box hardware store, but I noticed that I guess being copper based, it looks like copper not the current black sealant in my 640. What gives?

Terry Puterbaugh

Yoder YS-640
Two Weber Genesis Gassers

Return to Pellet